Update on more changes to come!

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Everyone,

In case you missed these announcements...read on!

Seller Update: Confident buyers, seller rewards

We're making changes to give sellers the most vibrant marketplace on the Internet:
Rewards for sellers with high buyer satisfaction
Confident, satisfied buyers

Rewards for sellers with high buyer satisfaction
Sellers' response to detailed seller ratings (DSRs) as a measure of customer satisfaction has been remarkable. You're delivering great buyer experiences and we're answering with new rewards:

PowerSellers

PowerSellers with 4.9 average DSRs for the past 30 days will qualify for a 20% discount in Final Value Fees starting with the July 1 invoice.
We've added a new PowerSeller Diamond level for very high volume sellers with exceptional customer service.
The PowerSeller Program requirement of 4.5 minimum in all four DSRs based on 12 months takes effect in July. PowerSellers who don't quite meet the 12-month requirement, but who've been receiving discounts at 4.6 minimum DSRs may be grandfathered into the PowerSeller program.
All sellers

Coming soon: look for pricing changes scheduled to be announced before the holidays to further reduce the upfront cost of selling on eBay and the cost of selling in certain categories.
Keep checking your Seller Dashboard to see where you stand and get tips for continuing to improve your DSRs.

Confident, satisfied buyers
To improve the eBay experience for sellers and buyers, we're making several important changes and some may have an impact on your selling.

Making eBay safer:

Anonymous member email addresses: Starting in September, eBay will "anonymize" email addresses for members sent through the Member-to-Member communication system including Ask Seller a Question and Reply to Question. This industry-standard best practice helps protect member privacy and helps prevent fraud. Sellers can still reply back to the anonymous email addresses, and sellers will receive the buyers actual email address upon completion of the transaction. Seller email addresses will not be allowed in listings.
Controls on "active" user-generated content: By early 2009, member-produced content with Flash and Javascript will not be allowed in listings or any other eBay pages. Members will be required to use eBay approved secure widgets and mark-up language. Stay tuned for more details, specs and tools throughout the summer.
Stronger verification of new sellers: New sellers on eBay are now verified with a call to their registered phone number and required to be PayPal Verified as selling volume increases.
Trusted selling with identity verification: Starting this summer, eBay will begin checking to ensure you are logging in from a machine that you have successfully used in the past. If you attempt to list an item from a different computer - for example, from a PC you are borrowing in a hotel or library - eBay will ask you to confirm your identity via an automated phone call.
Better shopping experience with the redesigned Item page
Soon we'll begin a gradual roll-out of a redesigned Item page with 200% bigger pictures, a countdown timer in the last 24 hours, critical seller information right upfront, and more of your relevant listings.

What will the redesigned Item page mean for you as a seller?

More enticing listings: with bigger pictures, a real-time countdown timer, easier bidding, and more.
Start including critical item information if you don't already: Shipping cost and shipping method, item condition, and whether you have a return policy. The information will be required with the full launch of the redesigned Item page targeted for later this year, so this is a great time to get started.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

whoscloset
Community Member
Ohhh...I'm all a tingle!

Monique

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Monique,

I'm so looking forward to having to change 3035 listings as I have my e-mail address in all of them! I'm wondering if they will grandfather existing listings as it looks like they've done that for sellers who didn't change their under $1.00 prices in their stores.

Oh, well, this to shall pass!

Have a good one!
Susan
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
I have always wondered why an e-mail in an auction's description is of such importance, when eBay provides ample mechanisms to allow contact between a potential buyer and seller.

I was more concerned when eBay started to OMIT buyer's emails from the "ITEMS I'VE SOLD" page information.
"(Contact Member)" IS NOT helpful trying to 'connect the dots' from a buyer who's eBay ID- and e-mail do not logically hook up.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
There is NO reason to ban sellers from putting their email address in listings other than to prevent sellers from displaying their website address. It is more ebay protectionism disguised as buyer protection.

Monique

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

duujogl
Community Member
"I'm so looking forward to having to change 3035 listings as I have my e-mail address in all of them! I'm wondering if they will grandfather existing listings as it looks like they've done that for sellers who didn't change their under $1.00 prices in their stores."

Susan, I was reading in an FAQ about these "improvements" that sellers CAN bulk change their existing listings - you just have to use Turbo Lister or SMP (whoopee!!!) -- does SMP even work on .ca? And Turbo Lister has had all the chances it gets from me! Monique's right, as usual -- the only one eBay is protecting is eBay!!! I wonder if they're going to monitor our responses to ASQ ... I usually put my email addie in my responses.

Glenda
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Glenda,

I use Blackthorne and I don't think it's possible to bulk change my write-ups. I will have to go in and invidivually delete the line in all of my listings. Those listings that have had a purchase on, I will have to end and restart because I don't believe descriptions may be changed once someone has made a purchase.

I've never used any of the other listing tools because of their stability.

I have my e-mail address in all of my responses as well.

My store will be on holidays during July so I guess I'll tackle the job then!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Actually, you won't be able to make bulk changes to your description in SMP or TurboLister.

You can do it in Blackthorne however as follows:

1. Highlight all of your listings.
2. click Bulk Change

3. Choose:
Field: Description
Action: Replace
Value: "e-mail address" with "leave blank"

4. Assign

Monique

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Monique,

THANK YOU! I hadn't thought about that.

Will it work even if someone has purchased from the store listing?

Susan
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Will it work even if someone has purchased from the store listing?

I don't think so. 😞

Monique

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
OK- deep breath- does everyone remember when eBay prohibited the use of E-MAIL ADDRESSES as eBay ID's?

This came and went.........
we survived.

HOWEVER- did anyone notice that eBay STILL permits the use of the word "DOT"?
And several, likely thousands of eBay sellers have variations on this theme, all using the "DOT" in their ID, or STORE name.

EXAMPLE: NameNameDOTcom

REALLY PEOPLE....does any not give us credit to realize that this is simply THEIR WEBSITE, when adds a "WWW." in front of it., and replaces "DOT" with "."??? www.NameName.com

We are not stupid- and eBay still permits this.
Will this 'covert' naming practice also be outlawed?
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Monique,

Wishful thinking, eh! I'll figure out a way though to cut the workload and will do this during July when my store is on vacation for the month.

It may be that I have to end all of the listings and restart at my cost as most of my items have purchases on them. At least it is only 3 cents per listing and gallery is free.

Have a good one!
Susan
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
whoscloset et al- "There is NO reason to ban sellers from putting their email address in listings"

Well, as if eBay needs a REASON to do anything ?????

eBay will protect itself as it sees fit- whether we like it or not.
That's eBay's job.

I have more problems with grandPARENTing some sellers, and not others.
The appearance of one seller displaying an e-mail, and another being prohibited is problematic. How would anyone know what seller is, and what seller is not allowed to do something, unless all were reported and investigated?
Anyone simply looking at a listing would not know that it may be a violation of eBay rules? So how would the community ever report inappropriate use of an e-mail addresses' appearance?
Will this rule enforceable? Yes- but at the expense of everyone being subjected to different rules and not able to ascertain a violation.
This is a policy that affects what is publicly viewable- and not some internal, behind the scenes, operation.
(Many different rules apply behind the scenes- but these are not something the public is aware, nor responsible for.)
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
In case you didn't notice...ebay threw out the "level playing field" approach when John Donahoe took charge.

Monique

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
whoscloset-- the level playing field vanished years ago.
It's likely the bigger issue that eBay believes that it is THE ONLY BALLGAME in town, that will be its demise.

Their are other venues out there.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply