Updated: eBay to file appeal in Canada Revenue Agency case... hahaha

No comments available on Ebay post.

The appeal is not being heard. Why is Ebay feighning ingdination to Canadian law? 2004/2005 is the reference, as it is denied it will be the statute. As in the U.S., Australia ad-nosium. All information will be released all the time. Retroactively. Ebay.ca is a Canadian site. To tell us differently is dishonest at a minimum and perhaps fraudulent.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Ebay.ca is a Canadian site.

I wonder. Invoices have Swiss address on them.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

eBay Canada is a 100% foreign owned company, forget where it is registered, and Paypal I believe is registered in Luxembourg or Switzerland, I forget which, but that doesn't qualify eBay to not comply with Canadian law. If they choose not to surrender the documents, their doors will be padlocked and bench warrants issued to the management of eBay Canada for contempt which would likely result in a high profile "perp walk".

Really makes no difference, Revenue Canada operates on the principal that you are guilty until you can prove otherwise and no company has ever prevented Revenue Canada form securing whatever documentation it's little heart desires 😛

There are 2 basic issues, Revenue Canada wishes to get the income tax it is owed by eBay businesses that seem to think they don't have to comply with the tax code because they are selling on the internet, so anyone that is a "Power Seller" has been classified by Revenue Canada as a "Business" and the appropriate tax returns and remittences will have to be made at some point in the near future.

The second issue is the collection of GST from these businesses, many of which seem to think they don't need to comply with those regulations either, so they will be doing a lot of whining when they get the invoice from Revenue Canada for 5% of their sales for the past 5 years. Revenue Canada will of course refund the GST on shipments made out of the country, just as soon as one proves what portion of those sales were exported.

The only good news is that while there is no statute of limitation on tax evasion, typicaly Revenue Canada deals with the immediately preceding 5 years and offers easy payment options spead over 12 months if required to facilitate compliance. The alternative is jail time and they have no quams resorting to such penalties.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Oh, depending on how much one is required to pay, you can negotiate with Revenue Canada and reach a settlement that satisfies both parties, it's not unheard of to get away with 50 cents on the dollar, but I'm not up on what their current mindset is... one would think they will tend to be very pliable given the buckets of oil revenue royalties that just keep rolling in, then again, Harper likes to spend it and keep the cookie jar empty so the next guy has no funds passed to him...
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Why has Ebay removed there post that I responded to on the same day?
Message 5 of 5
latest reply