Using feedback from another site

1purplewater4
Community Member
I found a seller that copied and pasted feedback about the item from amazon and posted it in their listing, not disclosing that this feedback was not directly for the products sold in their eBay store. Is that allowed? Seems misleading to me.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

leb17
Community Member

Hi 1purplewater4

Very good question...can you post the item number so we can give better advice.

DO NOT post the seller ID..its a NO..NO...ONLY the item number.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

1purplewater4
Community Member

well i posted the item # and got in trouble!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Just once I'd like someone to post a link along with the admonishment about not being able to include an ID in a query.  I can't for the life of me find it anywhere.

Well, 'purplewater', assuming you did not put the item number in the title (which is indeed not permitted), it would appear there is nothing for it.  Was the seller Canadian?  Watching the boards, perhaps? :^O

If the seller mentioned Amazon in the listing, that would certainly not be allowed, to say nothing of outright bad manners.  It would be like going to a friend's for dinner and waxing on about how much better the food is at a neighbour's.

If, however, the seller merely copied feedback to brag that 'this is how people like our product' whilst offering no clue about where it came from, there is really no harm in that.  If you happen to have seen the feedback elsewhere, well, how cleverly observant!

So you see it depends on what you mean, and perhaps you could elaborate a little.  Obviously an ebay seller cannot say 'Our Amazon customers think suchandsuch'.  But if the seller simply copied some nice comments from an anonymous elsewhere, . . .

I can't understand how you would have had a problem with just the item number though, - it's that 12 digit thing on the right of the listing under 'Other item info'.  Was that what used, and merely posted it in the body of your message?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

leb17
Community Member

Hi again 1purplewater4

I know how you feel about having your post removed...don't worry about the little slap that eBay gave you, (try your best not to get to many in a period of time) a lot of members has had this happened as well as a lot of responders on the boards has had their post removed as well. We learn from experience on posting.

Many, many moons ago when eBay was growing, I have seen that members were posting item numbers in the thread (title) and posting member ID's as well and not have the post removed even being reported for violating policy.

Now I am seeing a trend on a lot of eBay AC (Answer Center) boards this is happening more often...could it be due to the economic crises?

Anytime YOU think that a seller or member is violating eBay policies just click the report button on the listing or post and let eBay sort it out.

You got mail.

Hi dmil...

EBay is not always clear or cut and dry on their policies, but we must keep in mind that this is ebay sand box and we must follow their rules:

eBay reserves the right to remove any post for any reason without warning or notice.

The only thing I can come up with:

Posting information about member or listing violations

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-boards.html

It’s very sad that in the first paragraph in the link above states:

"a place where you can connect with other eBay members, ask for guidance from other eBay members, and learn more about other members' eBay experiences and best practices."

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

1purplewater4
Community Member

after you asked to show the item ID #, I posted it and immediately received an email telling me not to do that! anyway, this seller is selling an expensive item at a discount price, and I purchased that item from amazon.... i read all of the reviews on amazon, and then headed over to ebay just to comparison shop... and saw all of the comments copied and pasted, word for word! the seller did a blurb about how much their customers love them, and then just said 'here are some good reviews'': which leaves it open to interpretation... good reviews about the product being sold by this seller, or just the product itself?? the reason that i have such a problem with this feedback being stolen from another site is that ebay and amazon are both sites where the purchaser really has to rely on good faith & finger crossing that the product is in fact a real product! lots of people make knock offs of expensive items and state that they are real. so if i give a good product review on amazon, that means i am only giving positive feedback to that particular seller of that particular item... another seller could say that they are selling the same thing, but it could wind up being a knock off. make sense? The reason i didn't report it to ebay directly yet is because it is so darn difficult to do so!! I tried to 'choose a topic' and none seemed to fit what my concern was. so I was left frustrated... and just headed over to amazon and reported to them that their feedback is being ripped off- so they can deal with it directly. i asked the seller if they thought what they were doing was misleading and i got a response of 'nobody has ever asked this'.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply