VictorVest 7 Canada?

Anyone here using that investment information service?  Any opinion on its value?

For years I have considered signing up but, being a long term investor, not a day-to-day trader, I see their service oriented towards short term traders more so than long term investors.  At $645 a year, it is not cheap.  The question is: is it worth it?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

VictorVest 7 Canada?

valve37
Community Member

Forget Vector, I told you years ago Pierre to buy BCE when it was in the mid 20s, now in the mid 40s. Buy the banks as well and collect those big fat divs.

As well the banks and BCE are among the first to recover in any major market turndown.

BCE div/yr/per share - $2.33  

TD    div/yr/per share - $3.40 - will split 2 for 1 shortly as nearing $100. I went through a previous split wahoo!

Review - http://www.squidoo.com/vectorvest-reviews 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

VictorVest 7 Canada?

If I recall well (and I do) you recommended buying BCE at $37 expecting the Teachers Pension Plan takeover at $42.  Once the takeover was rejected, the stock dropped to the mid 20's (a few months after your initial recommendation).

Gary - Mary already holds 1,000 shares of BCE. She is happy with the dividend.  She also holds CIBC, Bell Aliant and Great West Life.

We strongly believe in diversification and will not put all our eggs in one basket.

Anyone with actual experience with VectorVest 7 Canada?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

VictorVest 7 Canada?

No, I recommended you day trade them as they were jumping up and down between 35 and 40 at that time. I made out like a banshee doing that. Trust Mary bought them at the 20 something mark as recommened. 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

VictorVest 7 Canada?

"recommended you day trade..".

That is not who I am and it certainly is of no interest to Mary either.

We are old (both seniors) and require security of our (earned and saved) capital with steady income.  Trading stocks in and out of the market may be fun for the younger generation willing to gamble and speculate, but certainly not for us.

Whenever a stock is purchased, we plan it to be a one-way street, never to be sold.  All we want is steady receipt of monthly or quarterly dividends for as long as we live.  We have no interest in capital appreciation.  Our investments are made of banks, utilities, insurance companies and a diversified portfolio of preferred shares (mostly with reset feature), real estate investment trusts and a few ETFs, in addition to RRIF payable from bank GICs.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

VictorVest 7 Canada?

I agree since turning over 70. Have turned my fortune over to Ed Jones and now enjoying life away from the market.  

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

VictorVest 7 Canada?

"Have turned my fortune over to..."

Not ready for that yet.  Hopefully will never be.  I simply cannot feel comfortable having someone else making financial decisions affecting our old age security.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

VictorVest 7 Canada?

Every change EJ wants to make or suggest gets my approval before proceeding. Many years of managing it on my own has taught me  valuable lessons. Oh yes the advisor sez I'm over positioned on BCE and should lighten up. I tell her my 4000+ are untouchable! She'd like to load me up more on mutual funds as there is no money for her in stocks unless bought or sold. As you probably know mutual fund fees are part of an advisors bread and butter. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

VictorVest 7 Canada?

"as there is no money for her in stocks unless bought or sold."

BINGO.

That is why we would never use a stock broker to manage our financial affairs.  They can only profit from trading.  We are not interested in trading. Why should we pay a mutual fund 2%+ to manage any part of my savings?  Any independent study on the last ten years show most mutual funds results are below the average (index) once you factor their 2%+ annual fees.

That is also one problem I noticed with most financial shows on TV.  All those so-called "experts" look for capital appreciation, almost exclusively.  If they are asked an opinion on stocks such as Bell Aliant for example, they look at it as "dead money".  The fact it has a dividend yield of 7%+ means nothing to these guys.  They want to trade, not collect a safe 7% which works out to about 8.5%-9.0% equivalent interest with the tax advantage given Canadian eligible dividends.  We are very happy to collect dividends 7% annually and see the stock remains exactly where it is (dead money) ten years from now.  And the same comment applies to most of our preferred shares yielding about 7% on average. It is all "dead money".  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

VictorVest 7 Canada?

We tried it in our office, if you are a buy and hold investor, it really is overkill. Cancelled it after one month,

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

VictorVest 7 Canada?

I've had a good experience with TD Waterhouse. You pay only $9.99 per stock trade if your household assets are greater than $50,000 or you make 30-149 trades per quarter.  No charge when you buy, sell or trade TD Money Market funds.

To compare all the different Canadian discount brokerages, check out the Canadian discount brokerage comparison.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

VictorVest 7 Canada?

We have been using CIBC Investor Edge for years.  Commission fee is only  $6.95 per transaction, regardless of size, on any of our accounts: investments or TFSA.  It works well for us.  If you want them to send your dividends when received, it can be done electronically or by mail: no extra charge.

My question had more to do with VictorVest7 Canada, offering a screening system.  After checking with them, it turns out they do not have what we are looking for: the ability to filter Canadian preferred shares only and then screen them.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

VictorVest 7 Canada?

Ah...I just looked at VictorVest 7's webpage, and I can tell you they are definitely NOT the "only report that tells you:

• What a stock is really worth
  • How safe a stock really is
  • Whether a stock is a Buy, Sell or Hold"

Short of the possession of a crystal ball, you can get this information from a variety of sources, free of charge. 

All of the above is reported and reviewed on the TD Waterhouse service, from a group of independent analysts.

Bottom line is, you do not have to pay for this type of information.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply