Well -- Look What I Just Found!!

Every once in a while eBay makes a change that I think is a really good idea (refreshing, isn't it?), even if they don't ask us sellers in advance, or tell us what they're planning.  Here's what I just noticed today on my listings -- the portion circled in red.  Free marketing, thanks eBay, although I could do without the Hyundai ad. Smiley Happy 

I also notice I'm back to the "blue door" again.  Whatever...

Screenshot-Oct31.jpg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

And here's another one.  It seems they are all over the place - highlighting various item/seller features.   Did this just happen today? 

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

yes i noticed this yesterday and I do like it ..Very nice

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I like it!!!!

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Checked on of my listings and it has "Limited Time Remaining" which is an encouragement to buy.

Although, to be honest, it's a GTC on a 30 day turn, and will relist as soon as the 30 days is up.

Still, gift horses.....

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

"gift..."

Is it a gift?  It never made sense to me for eBay to show buyers an "expiry" date and time on GTC listings or even for fixed price listings, regardless of duration.

While "2 hours left" may result in a few buyers clicking the "Buy-it-Now" button, how many of these same few buyers will hit the back button when they see "22 days and 17 hours left"?

Buy-it-Now should mean just that.  By suggesting there is some time left, eBay is missing the point.  That may have been a valuable tool ten or fifteen years ago in the days when eBay was king of the online auction world.  Today, with over 90% of all listings offered at fixed price, showing time remaining is counter-productive.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

A gift in that it may encourage a few buyers to confirm a purchase immediately rather than addiing the item to a watch list.

I've never monitored it but I have an impression that most of my Fixed Price sales happen at the beginning and end of the 30 day cycle.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I've never monitored it but I have an impression that most of my Fixed Price sales happen at the beginning and end of the 30 day cycle.

I have and my research shows that FP listing see minimal action in terms of buys or views except for the first and last 48 hours. This is partially why I do very few FP listings and almost always use a 5 or 7 day duration.

I know Pierre likes to always remind us that the share of listings in the Auction format is greatly reduced but what he doesn't usually make any mention of is how many dollars do they bring in or the sell-through rates.

Of course there are no absolutes on eBay, what works for me might be the worst possible option for another seller with a different product line.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

On this new feature.....

It's ok, a bit silly really to highlight condition just a few pixels away from where condition is already prominent. One other thing that made me do a double take.....I offer to pay shipping on any return but buyers have to go look for that info, now it says up front and highlighted "FREE RETURNS".......

Not sure if I want to be that blunt, I think I prefer that only buyers who take the time to read the return section see that.

Probably nothing to worry about, I've offered free return shipping for more than two years and never had anyone take me up on it.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I like it! Shows up on my store items too!

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Everyone appears to assume that Fixed Price means GTC.

Yet there are large booksellers that put inventory up for 30 days, and then a completely new set of inventory up for another 30 days.

This means that inventory is changed every 30 days...

eBay does have a 30 day option for fixed price

In such a situation letting a potential buyer know that the end for that listing is near  makes sense.

An example....

Sellers has 40,000 books to list.

List 20,000 every 30 days...Each set of inventory gets 180 days of visibility in any given year.....

and eventually the buyers catch on to what is happening.....

I am sure that more sellers, and not just booksellers are doing this.....

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

And

New listings do appear to get promoted in a search report.....

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Perhaps this new twist has to do with mobile phone shopping? These highlighted points are encouraging to people shopping while stopped at a red light or having dinner with their sweethearts? You know, when buying a DVD or a pair of shoes is more important than traffic or your lovelife?

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Could also be $250 fine if you search on eBay while you drive.....

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

What a nice change.

I wonder how many phrases there are available. I went through a few of my listings and there were some that I would think should have the "Best offer available" phrase, but it isn't there for me. My first guess on what would trigger that one would be if you had the lowest price+shipping on a catalogue listing. It may also need to be in New condition for that to show.

Chris

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Also found... at this position in the listing

Experienced seller

New Condition

Global Shipping program

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Everyone appears to assume that Fixed Price means GTC.

Yet there are large booksellers that put inventory up for 30 days, and then a completely new set of inventory up for another 30 days.

I am sure that more sellers, and not just booksellers are doing this.....

I'm certainly not a large seller, but I use 30 day FP listings and I can attest to the fact that they work for me.  I tend to be selective about doing this however, as otherwise I have to keep an eye on ended items to relist them, which defeats some of the advantages of having a store with GTC "low maintenance" listings.  

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I find ebay's wording very deceiving, insulting to show "experience seller" when you only have 100 some odd feedback. It should show "Novice seller" until you have at least 1000 + feedback.

I find it insulting what ebay is doing, we carry at least $200,000 in inventory, long time sellers deserve the "experience seller", than someone that just started and only have the odd nicnac in stock.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Good point Angus, sellers should have to earn the "Experienced seller" status just like we had to earn our first 5000 stars.  Kinda feels like working at a job for 20 years and the new guy starts at the same wage as you are making now.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

How does eBay determine which sellers are "experienced seller"??  I knew of some sellers that get that icon which is a joke.  They are one of the worst sellers and yet they are getting that.

To me, that is scary as it is deceiving to any one especially the new ebayers!!  I am truly sorry that eBay is now making eBay no longer fun and safe for many of us which is happening the last 2 years and now this deceiving icon!!  Sheesh!

eBay needs to focus to make eBay more fun and safer like 5 years or more than working on adding something like this deceiving icon!

Message 20 of 21
latest reply