What Broker Do You Use When Importing Goods into Canada?

jakeeangel
Community Member
I have just had and am still going through the worst experience with A & A Customs Brokers. I swear I will NEVER use them again. They've screwed up my recent shipment and are threatening that I will have to pay late charges and such from Rev Can. It took these dummies 2 weeks to find the bill to figure out the taxes and duty to begin with?!? ARRRRGH!!

So, who do most of you use when/if you import stuff? In the future I plan on making full use of my US address and bring the dang stuff over myself! Can't seem to do that with China though without paying twice. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance!!

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

chuck111fishing
Community Member
why cant you be your own broker. As for asian countries there is taxes on specific items and some dont have taxes at all. The stuff that you buy make sure its tax redempted. If thats makes sense. But there is list, i got asian counter part that knows what he can bring to canada for no duties and what he cant.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
I'm working on doing that very thing right now. 🙂 I'm cancelling my account with these guys. They're trying to tell me that there are duties, the company who's owner is Canadian says there isn't. It's the iPod skins which apparently because they're silicone are not taxable. I don't know that for sure one way or the other but this is what the CEO is telling me. The broker of course is saying no because they get more money.

The thing that's really P'ing me off with these guys is that they took 2 weeks to find the paperwork for the shipment and are now threatening that if I don't get some other form from the company I'll get charged penalties from RevCan. I don't think so you incompetent boobs! Their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing and I get to literally pay for it in the form of penalties?!?! I think not!! I'm already paying a fortune calling China over and over for crying out loud.

Do you mean tax exempt? How would I find out if these are tax exempt or not? I haven't gone to the RevCan site or anything like that for them. I'm just going by what the CEO of the company told me. I figure he knows his product better than these guys do so I trusted his info.

Anything else I've bought I brought in myself from the US. Real quick, painless and super easy! A $1500 US order with duty of $30 Canadian. We've only just started bringing stuff in to sell, a lot of stuff we make ourselves and the rest of it is from Canada.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

catalystpaintball
Community Member
I use UPS's brokerage service. All my suppliers are in the US and I use UPS for all the shipping so it works well. There is very rearly any delay at the border and it's reasonably cheap. They charge me $18 flat rate for ground shipments and it's free for air shipmwnts. You still have to pay any duty, taxes and any extra prep fees (ie if there is some paper work missing that thay have to request from the shipper). You can even use them if your not shipping UPS.

Steve
catalyst copy
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

aa-surplus
Community Member
Well this is a loaded question on the Brokers BUT I have been using NGJ Brokers for 10 years and Have never had an issue. They give me an US address to ship my stuff to and then next day it gets to me. they take care of all my issues and with what I sell I keep them very busy on making usre it can go were it needs to go. and I have no problems with there rates toll free numbers for support live people at the other end and always bend over to help you make sure it can or cannot go were you want it to. Very happy with them.
if you need anymore information about them e-mail me off this list.

Regards,

Mark A
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

cherietales
Community Member
How did you get a flat $18.00 brokerage fee from UPS? I have always paid more. I would appreciate any hints.

Cherie.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

catalystpaintball
Community Member
They called me actually.

I was using another broker and they called me up one day with an offer I couldn't refuse. I would assume all you need to do is call up UPS and tell them you want to open a brokerage account or at least get the cost of it. They faxed me all the forms and it only took a few days to setup. Makes shipping faster to, my shipments don't get held for clearance anymore.

Steve
catalyst copy
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yes, you can call UPS and get discount rates depending on volume.

Their discount rates are flat rate, one for under $1600, one for over $1600.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply