What North Korean people are fed by their media

http://www.kcna.co.jp/item/2013/201303/news29/20130329-31ee.html

Meanwhile, the U.S. deputy secretary of Defense flew to south Korea to finally examine the preparations for a nuclear war against the DPRK and openly said that the U.S. military attaches top priority to the second Korean war, giving green light to a nuclear war.

All the developments clearly show that the U.S. and south Korean aggression moves to conquer the DPRK, the strategic vantage, are leading to an outbreak of a nuclear war.

I wonder if North Koreans actually know the state media are full of lies and propaganda.

In my opinion China should annex North Korea temporarily until leadership is stabilized. China has experience with having separated economies under one roof (Macau, Hong-Kong). NK army will not fight China, since they are brainwashed against USA and South Korea. China would enter to "help" just like Soviet and other Warsaw Pact troops came to "help" Czechoslovakia in 1968 and stayed 21 years. Resistance and casualties would be minimal, threat eliminated for now and end result would be much more acceptable for China as having US military infestated North Korea.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

I don't see the Chinese government as being much better than the N. Korean government.

How do you know that they would stop at the 49th parallel and not continue into S. Korea?

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

"full of lies and propaganda"

lies ?

It depends on the point of view.  What the Western media presents as "facts" may be seen as "lies" by the Chinese and North Korean.

Where is it written that the Western press is right and they are wrong?

Oh yes, now I remember.  George Bush said it best when referring to Weapons of Mass Destruction held in Iraq.  Those were "facts". 

Iraq kept saying those were "lies".

And a few of us are old enough to remember all the "facts" and "lies" about the war fifty years ago between the (good guys) South Vietnam and the (bad guys) North Vietnam.

Sometimes "facts" get in the way of a good story.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I wonder if North Koreans actually know the state media are full of lies and propaganda.

The same could be asked of our governments and the same could be asked by the people of the US and Britain and their governments. Look at the Nam war and the Iraq war, the people of the US never knew the ......truth. Even Japan's attack on the US which got the US into WW2, how many people really knew the reasons behind it?

All governments lie to the ......people........but some are really good at it and others not so good. You can always tell when an politician is lying. His lips are moving.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

I don't see the Chinese government as being much better than the N. Korean government.

How do you know that they would stop at the 49th parallel and not continue into S. Korea?

Because South Korea has treaties with USA and China has no reason to enter into conflict with USA and it's allies, they have nothing to gain and everything to loose. It's possible, but not logical. Cynically, Canada and many other countries would possibly benefit from the all out war between China and USA.

Where is it written that the Western press is right and they are wrong?

We are free to read also Al Jazera, China Daily, Pravda.ru and hundreds other non-western reputable agencies plus millions of blogs. North Koreans cannot.

North Korea talking about nuclear war with USA, appeared on many non-western media. So you are saying KCNA is telling the truth and western media are full of it. All right then. Wrong forum.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I think the only reason for China to get involved is because it would be easier to take away the hand that feeds you then start a nuclear war or any type of war at all

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

"So you are saying KCNA is telling the truth and western media are full of it."

???

Where did you see that?

I wrote "It depends on the point of view.  What the Western media presents as "facts" may be seen as "lies" by the Chinese and North Korean. Where is it written that the Western press is right and they are wrong?"

There is no need to "spin" those words.  Most free thinking readers without a political agenda will understand.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

I think a Final Peace Deal should be made. Normal relations and no nukes or icbms for the complete withdrawal of American troops from the peninsula.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Wait that might throw the USA economy into recession!

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I often wonder about reports and videos re: North Korea, are they stock items.  We (little people) assume the reports are up to date and not laden with the USAs' distorted version of what they want their citizens to hear and see?   I for one do not believe what I see in the USAs accounts of what's going on.  USA governments have a history for misleading their people.  Remember...."I am not a crook!"   

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

I have been following media in several countries, China included. It's quite impossible for western media to twist verifiable facts. What western media does to manipulate public opinion is to report facts out of original context, push some and censor other news, ridicule the subject or select particular moderator or guest. Nancy Grace as moderator or Alex Jones  as guest discredits the viewpoint for many. But they don't twist the facts.

There is very little other source of information in North Korea than state controlled media. "Facts" are unverifiable and if media says that USA is about to attack, kill them and enslave their children, they will believe it. I believed it myself at some point. I was fed the Marx/Engels/Lenin theories my entire childhood and I despised imperialistic USA because we lived under the threat that USA lead by president Reagan was going to start WW3 at any point and only Soviet Union could protect us. Those of you who have had access to free press your entire lives have no idea how facts can be twisted in government controlled media. If there is enough repetitions, people will believe black is white. North Koreans genuinely hate USA, and in their mind USA is the source of all their misery.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Those of you who have had access to free press your entire lives have no idea how facts can be twisted in government controlled media. If there is enough repetitions, people will believe black is white. North Koreans genuinely hate USA, and in their mind USA is the source of all their misery.

You are absolutely right about this.  It's not a question of weighing different opinions, points of view and interpretations and making your choice amongst the various voices -- that's what we in the free western world are fortunate enough to be able to do.  It's a question of having absolutely no other information getting inside, and being fed one and only one line of "fact" from a very young age.  Think of how long this has gone on in North Korea, and how many generations have now been deeply "propagandized" in a completely isolated bunker of a nation.  

I was in East Germany years before the Wall came down, and can attest to the fact that people were being fed lies about the West that served only to prop up the existing system and keep people afraid of the outside.  It was shocking to hear, but as an invited Westerner I was not in a position to make waves.  Isolating a population from outside information is the oldest propaganda method in the book. 

What makes North Korea so dangerous is that it is one of the most isolationist countries in the world and therefore can feed its populace any sort of fear or revulsion of other peoples that it wishes. 

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

It's quite impossible for western media to twist verifiable facts.

Like Iraq and all the facts before the illegal and deadly invasion?

Photobucket
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

It's quite impossible for western media to twist verifiable facts.

Like Iraq and all the facts before the illegal and deadly invasion?

Western media are extremely good at twisting facts, but verification isn't always enough to dislodge public opinion moulded by spin.  This is why the free press is so vital, and why those living in free societies have a responsibility to sift through and consider the facts. 

Actually there were media vehemently debunking Bush's claims, including many in the U.K. and Europe (France especially).  There was all sorts of verification on the other side that was being ignored, and voices in the U.S. who were deeply skeptical.  However Bush and his cronies put on such an impressive show that it appealed to a world ready to accept war over common sense. 

Spin doctoring is different from a repressive regime which keeps absolutely all dissenting information out.  If people in the free world allow themselves to remain ignorant and uninformed, they have only themselves to blame for the consequences of not acting or speaking out.  In places like Korea, the few who wield power are solely to blame; the people are muzzled. 

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

This is why the free press is so vital, and why those living in free societies have a responsibility to sift through and consider the facts.

Very true. It would however be nice to see reporters who dig a bit more than most of them do ....and as well reporters who don't just follow what their media owners tell them to say.

If people in the free world allow themselves to remain ignorant and uninformed, they have only themselves to blame for the consequences of not acting or speaking out.

Yep, same as people in other countries did in the past.

.....PS.....great ME page rose.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 25
latest reply

"It would however be nice to see reporters who dig a bit more than most of them do ....and as well reporters who don't just follow what their media owners tell them to say."

Yes, the "press" is becoming less truly "free" all the time.  A worrisome thing for certain. 

"If people in the free world allow themselves to remain ignorant and uninformed, they have only themselves to blame for the consequences of not acting or speaking out.

Yep, same as people in other countries did in the past."  

Absolutely, Hitler's Germany being one of the more egregious examples. 

But then there are the likes of Ghandi, and the courageous leader in Myanmar (you know who I mean, I can never properly spell her name - Aung Sun Soo Chi??) and others who refuse to be silenced.  It costs them personally, but they give a great gift to humanity as a whole -- hope.  

P.S. Thanks very much for the compliment - I was hoping passersby might look at that page now and then.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Oh yes, I did mean to add that, although we've since found out that Jean Chrétien was no saint, at least he had the courage to openly disagree with Bush at the time over the Iraq debacle.  Occasionally, for whatever reason, Canada does get it right. 

I wonder if Harper would have done the same if he'd been PM at the time?  Not likely.   Sorry, didn't mean to open a political Pandora's box, just a historical observation.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

I wonder if Harper would have done the same if he'd been PM at the time? Not likely. Sorry, didn't mean to open a political Pandora's box, just a historical observation.

Harper openly supported the war and wanted Canada in it. Thankfully, he had no power at the time.

Photobucket
Message 18 of 25
latest reply

"So you are saying KCNA is telling the truth and western media are full of it."

???

Where did you see that?

I wrote "It depends on the point of view.  What the Western media presents as "facts" may be seen as "lies" by the Chinese and North Korean. Where is it written that the Western press is right and they are wrong?"

There is no need to "spin" those words.  Most free thinking readers without a political agenda will understand.

While I know what you are trying to say, the Western media is not the only sources we can access while other countries have access only to the government sponsored media. The biggest change happening is that these types of regimes are having difficulties controlling social media so eventually the people under their control will figure the truth out for themselves. Now if we could only get the so called intelligent people of the industrialized West to also realize that researching stories is the only way to find the truth and that our media is doing a less than adequate job of being the counterbalance to what the government says. Oh well, truth is in the eye of the beholder and it is amazing how a single story can be interpreted in so many ways!

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

"Oh well, truth is in the eye of the beholder and it is amazing how a single story can be interpreted in so many ways!"

BINGO!

There are some in this country who honestly think that the "news" reported by the Toronto Sun (and all of Sun Media) accurately reflect the facts without any political bias or right leaning prejudices.

And there are some (the majority of Canadians) who know better! 😉

Message 20 of 25
latest reply