What happens when My parcel is damaged in shipping and part of the item is missing

I ordered an item on ebay and it arrived in a damaged box, missing part of the item. 

What recourse do I have now...I would expect that at the very least a partial refund for the item as it is

not complete or fully refunded shipping costs

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

What happens when My parcel is damaged in shipping and part of the item is missing

The first step is to contact the seller and send photos through Messages on ebay. What you do after that depends on their response.

Was this a postal handling error? Or a packing error? The former is actually very rare. The latter is not. 

It is the seller's job to insure shipments, not yours as the buyer. (Don't let them try to pull that one on you.)

If your seller is not helpful, you'll need to open an Item Not As Described Case. But don't do that without talking to your seller first, and giving them fair chance to fix it for you. No decent seller wants to shortshift their buyer. What they make in a couple of bucks per sale, they lose in standing and reputation if the buyer is left unsatisfied. 

Again, talk to your seller first but always keep an eye on your window for opening a dispute. If the seller offers to send you a replacement, will you have it in time? The last thing that you want is a broken item, a missing-in-action replacement, and a dispute deadline passed. Then you are truly left empty-handed. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

If either the postal system or the Global Shipping Program damaged the parcel in transit, there will be a formal notice of that fact somewhere on or in the parcel.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply