What is best (least expensive) way to ship to Canada.

My package would be over 6 pounds so it would need to be separated for first class international.  Ebay told me we could opt out of Global shipping if the buyer "requests a total"  from me as there are four auctions.  When I try to research numbers online the shipping totals are crazy high.  I was planning to take them to the PO tomorrow to see what they could tell me but would appreciate any insight you guys have.  Also, is it better to make several smaller packages to save on import fees - is it true there are lower or no fees for items under $20.  Only one of the four auctions is over $20 but the total value is about $87.  Thanks!  I don't want my buyer to have to pay too much for shipping.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Hi Lynn,

I bought few items on eBay and since the last 2-3 months I avoid buying from seller with the Global Shipping option due to very expensive import charge. From my experience USPS it is the best way to request shipping for my items, reliable and cheap !

Good luck and Cheers !

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@lynnedericjenny wrote:

My package would be over 6 pounds so it would need to be separated for first class international.  Ebay told me we could opt out of Global shipping if the buyer "requests a total"  from me as there are four auctions.  When I try to research numbers online the shipping totals are crazy high.  I was planning to take them to the PO tomorrow to see what they could tell me but would appreciate any insight you guys have.  Also, is it better to make several smaller packages to save on import fees - is it true there are lower or no fees for items under $20.  Only one of the four auctions is over $20 but the total value is about $87.  Thanks!  I don't want my buyer to have to pay too much for shipping.

As long as you know your buyer has no objection, if you divide the shipment into four parcels, you may get a better overall deal on shipping.  

You would be more familiar with US Postal rates than I am, but I would try out the calculation online (via the eBay "shipping zone" tab) before you package the items up and take them to the Post Office.  Using the shipping zone calculator you can get a fairly good idea of the cost - once you put in the parcel sizes, weight and destination.  Have you looked into using online labelling?  I know that in Canada we get a discount for certain Canada Post services if we buy the labels through eBay/Paypal -- the link to "print your label" is right on your "Sold" page in the drop-down list next to the sold item. 

You might also consider using one of the USPS "flat rate" boxes if the items are small enough and not too breakable.  I believe USPS allows quite a lot of weight in those boxes -- check the USPS shipping zone tab on eBay.  The size of the items matters too, but you might even manage to get all four items into a medium or large size box for about $30 to $40. 

Lastly, from the point of view of a Canadian who often buys from US eBay sellers, I would definitely opt out of GSP if you possibly can.  Yes, there is a $20 formal tax-free limit going into Canada, but most of us find that the majority of shipments from the US that are between $21 and about $80 still get through tax-free.  With GSP your buyer will always be charged the tax for anything over $20, plus extra shipping charges to get the item from the Kentucky hub to his/her address in Canada, plus Pitney-Bowes brokerage fees.  On a fairly inexpensive purchase, it can more than double the usual costs. 

So I would say the best way to go would be to opt out of GSP, try out a few "sample" box sizes and weights using the eBay USPS shipping calculator, and consider using eBay/Paypal shipping labels if there is a discount.  

By the way, thank you for asking these questions here.  You're the kind of US seller we all hope to be able to deal with! 

Best of luck with this. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

There might be a slight shipping saving (not a lot) sending 2 first class international packages <4lbs instead of 1 6lb priority.  Its unlikely they would be assessed any tax, if each package gets assessed then the savings would be blown on the $10 fee to collect tax

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You could check out First Class International Letter Mail with E-Delcon service or at your PO.

I recently received a shirt, about 1 lb., and the shipping cost was 10.65 from Montana. Tracking was very good with delivery confirmation , 10 day shipping time to Vancouver,BC.

The shirt had been previously listed with GSP charges at 25.00 on a 19.99 purchase price. Even if I'd been charged for taxes and collection , the non GSP cost would still be cheaper.

Your buyer should be aware that they are responsible for any taxes or duties.

With the seller listing the item with USPS shipping , I can afford to bid more.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

"Even if I'd been charged for taxes and collection , the non GSP cost would still be cheaper.r."

Actually it wouldnt have been. If the gsp was $25

Your shipping without was $10.65. CP would charge $9.95 to collect 18% duty  (being unlikely the shirt was made in the usa), anf tax on the item+duty.  Which in total would be more then the gsp.  more!  Which seems to be quite typical if one was to be assessed here.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

No, you are incorrect , and it's not likely to be charged taxes on items less than CAD100.00 according to the local PO employees.   

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

"it's not likely to be charged taxes on items less than CAD100.00 according to the local PO employees.   "

You may want to listen to local PO employees (who have nothing to do with tax assessment as that is done by Canada Customs; CP only collect the taxes)

Or listen to what your federal government is telling you:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Your choice.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

under 20 no import or customs through usps and many time items $100-$200 will come without any extra charges but the rule is under $20 ...

when shippping internation be sure to add check out info saying buyers is responsible for duties and or customs to help out the clueless buyers ..

Shipping is expensive no matter what you do but without GSP you will get more sales international for sure because all your cost are upfront ..

gsp it just as expensive but as Canadians we were paying pitney bowes for the shipping afterwards and paying sellers to ship to kentucky.. The shipping the buyer would pay Pitney bowes was not upfront and the buyers would pay after which HIDDEN FEES is a sale killer

good call on opting out of gsp as Canada is an ideal target market for the US .. Good luck

Message 9 of 9
latest reply