What is the best cost-efficient method of folding clothes I sell on eBay, with the plan to pay the least at a Canada Post Office?

I try to fold my clothes I sell on eBay by making them look less bulky and more flat to fit in the envelopes I ship them in. Is there a difference in how I fold the clothes and make the envelope appear? I just want to save on shipping fees. I hope this makes sense.

Any suggestions and ideas are very welcome!

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

What is the best cost-efficient method of folding clothes I sell on eBay, with the plan to pay the least at a Canada Post Office?

Hi - if you keep them under 2cm in thickness you can send them oversized letterpost. The envelope (or polymailer) can be up to 38cm long and 27cm wide. There is no tracking with this service, but very cheap compared to Expedited parcel/regular parcel. Up to 100g is $1.34, up to 200g is $2.20 etc. Plus tax of course! Buy a set of digital scales, weigh them yourself and buy stamps in advance to save lining up at the post office!!

If you have to ship an item over 2cm thickness (which means it can't go letter, but has to go parcel) - process the shipping label through Paypal as you save 25% off expedited parcel rates making it cheaper than regular parcel - same discount applies to Expedited Parcel USA. Saves you time standing in line at the post office too. Make the boxes as small as possible (no wasted space as there is a calculation on volume as well as weight and dimensions).

Hope this helps :).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hi - you can get a rate brochure from the post office - or see the rates at canadapost.ca. The rates I listed originally apply to sending within Canada (you can send oversized lettermail up to 500g). I prebuy stamps eg a USA letter stamp is $1.10, so I just use 2 of them to ship within Canada if the parcel weighs between 100-200g - hope this makes sense! Saves time waiting at the post office all the time! I prebuy a range of stamps - you can usually make up the correct amount for sending within Canada.

If you keep the same dimensions (up to 38cm x 27cm x 2cm) you can also send Light Packet USA or Light Packet International for lower rates. Eg up to 100g to USA is $2.53 and international (any country) $5.20. Up to 250g to USA is $5.26 and international $10. No tracking on these though. If the 2cm height is exceeded then you need to use Small Packet or Expedited Parcel. For any of these services you can print your own shipping labels through Paypal.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I sell children's clothing and I find most items can go by lettermail to Canada or light packet internationally if I fold the item as smoothly as possible, place it in a large dollar store zip-loc type bag and squeeze all the air out (usually by sitting on the bag as I close it).   This 'vacuum packs' it and prevents it from moving around in the poly mailer.  

I made a template for the 2 cm thickness out of heavy cardboard but it got a little tattered so I bought a plexiglass one from my postal outlet.

~

~ Linda ~
Gram of 6

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I actually purchased a plexiglass ruler for $9.99 (regular price) from a post office at a Pharma Plus store. Try Shoppers Drug Mart post office counter or other post offices.

Off topic, I'm still on a hunt for a shipping scale (not an expensive one too!). Purchased a mini one off eBay, but calculations of item weight are not the same as what the post office scale displays:S

Message 10 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hi - if you keep them under 2cm in thickness you can send them oversized letterpost. The envelope (or polymailer) can be up to 38cm long and 27cm wide. There is no tracking with this service, but very cheap compared to Expedited parcel/regular parcel. Up to 100g is $1.34, up to 200g is $2.20 etc. Plus tax of course! Buy a set of digital scales, weigh them yourself and buy stamps in advance to save lining up at the post office!!

If you have to ship an item over 2cm thickness (which means it can't go letter, but has to go parcel) - process the shipping label through Paypal as you save 25% off expedited parcel rates making it cheaper than regular parcel - same discount applies to Expedited Parcel USA. Saves you time standing in line at the post office too. Make the boxes as small as possible (no wasted space as there is a calculation on volume as well as weight and dimensions).

Hope this helps :).

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Awesome! Great answer!! Thank you so much:)

I've always wanted to ask the Canada Post ff behind the counter but they always have a never-ending line-up, therefore, feeling rushed myself.

I've ordered a digital shipping scale, waiting for its arrival. So once I weigh my items with it, how would I determine how many stamps are needed on the packaging. Is there a specific chart you refer to?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Hi - you can get a rate brochure from the post office - or see the rates at canadapost.ca. The rates I listed originally apply to sending within Canada (you can send oversized lettermail up to 500g). I prebuy stamps eg a USA letter stamp is $1.10, so I just use 2 of them to ship within Canada if the parcel weighs between 100-200g - hope this makes sense! Saves time waiting at the post office all the time! I prebuy a range of stamps - you can usually make up the correct amount for sending within Canada.

If you keep the same dimensions (up to 38cm x 27cm x 2cm) you can also send Light Packet USA or Light Packet International for lower rates. Eg up to 100g to USA is $2.53 and international (any country) $5.20. Up to 250g to USA is $5.26 and international $10. No tracking on these though. If the 2cm height is exceeded then you need to use Small Packet or Expedited Parcel. For any of these services you can print your own shipping labels through Paypal.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You're well-informed I must say! I'll ask for the brochure next time I stop by the post office.

THANKS!!!! 🙂

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

You are welcome! I also forgot to mention that when using letterpost for within Canada, you have to manually mark your items as "Shipped". You can do this either in Paypal or Ebay - drop down box next to transactions.

🙂

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The 2cm thickness can be tricky with fabric, since it can move and bunch up. And that is not a random dimension, it is used because that is the thickest the postmarking machinery can handle.

If your neat package allows the garment to slide around, the parcel may not fit through the machinery and damage may occur.

Pinning or taping a thin garment to a stiffener (cardboard or coroplast) would be helpful. So might a vaccuum packer which gives you a snug relatively still bag.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I sell children's clothing and I find most items can go by lettermail to Canada or light packet internationally if I fold the item as smoothly as possible, place it in a large dollar store zip-loc type bag and squeeze all the air out (usually by sitting on the bag as I close it).   This 'vacuum packs' it and prevents it from moving around in the poly mailer.  

I made a template for the 2 cm thickness out of heavy cardboard but it got a little tattered so I bought a plexiglass one from my postal outlet.

~

~ Linda ~
Gram of 6
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

simplement-maman
Community Member

Thanks for the ziplock trick 🙂

I tried to fund the plexiglass ruler from my postoffice but the clerk told me they don't sell it anymore... Will try your way with cardboard.

Thanks a lot!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I actually purchased a plexiglass ruler for $9.99 (regular price) from a post office at a Pharma Plus store. Try Shoppers Drug Mart post office counter or other post offices.

Off topic, I'm still on a hunt for a shipping scale (not an expensive one too!). Purchased a mini one off eBay, but calculations of item weight are not the same as what the post office scale displays:S

Message 10 of 10
latest reply