What reports should I print out for Tax purposes?

What reports do you print out for tax purposes? Do I have to have names of all the customers that purchased in the past year? If so how do I print out that report? Also in the past years I have been converting all of my sales to Cdn dollars at the rate of the day's sale - this is very time consuming, would Rev Can accept an average exchange? Thanks for any advice.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

When filing your tax return, there is no need to "print" any report other than attach your Profit and Loss statement for the year and enter the net profit on line 135 of your tax return.

Here is a sample P&L I prepared for eBay viewers a few years ago:

http://pierrelebel.com/lists/P&L-sample.htm

As far as conversion is concerned, the tax department will accept any reasonable conversion method as long as it is consistent from year to year.  Personally, I have always used the "annual average" (as offered by the Bank of Canada) method as I find it easier to manage. I have schedules for my expenses, my purchases and my sales. All US$ entries are converted using the same annual average (regardless of the actual rate paid/received).

According to the Bank of Canada, the following averages apply:

2008 =  US$ 1.00 = Cdn$ 1.0660

2009 =  US$ 1.00 = Cdn$ 1.1420

2010 =  US$ 1.00 = Cdn$ 1.0300

2011 =  US$ 1.00 = Cdn$ 0.9891

Keep in mind that you should keep receipts for your purchases and expenses in case of tax audit (a larger number of eBay sellers (not just PowerSellers) get audited every year). You should also keep your bank statements, cheque registers, credit card statements to evidence your receipts and expenses/purchases.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Thanks Pierre, Using the average will be a time saver!  And as for audits I am one of the lucky ones that received a letter from Rev Can about the Voluntary Disclosures Program, according to the website 49,000 lucky Canadians will receive letters about this - suggesting a possible audit. But I guess if the paper work is all there - there is nothing to worry about!

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

"if the paper work is all there - there is nothing to worry about!"

If the paperwork is all there, and the numbers are matched by receipts and bank deposits, and the net profit reported on the tax return matches with reality... then there is nothing to worry about! 🙂  

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

When the CRA auditor shows up he/she or it will have all the information from Ebay about your sales on a laptop computer. They will not have any information about returns, refunds, and your expenses but if you have all your receipts and have not tried to write off expenses like " Happy Bodies Excort Service" you should not have any great problems.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Hi fatdane

" write off expenses like " Happy Bodies Excort Service"

Is this why your tax audit took so long? 🙂

Is your wife aware of the "business expense'? 🙂

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Be aware that the CRA will verify your eBay sales to your bank/Paypal deposits, so you should be printing off the monthly Paypal deposits report (History/Reports/Monthly Sales Report).

For what it's worth the auditor reviewed all my bank accounts including personal accounts and asked for explanations of any deposits going into those accounts. They are looking for other online sales not being declared.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Well Pierre the suditor called today adter me hearing nothing from hin since June. He has some questions about expenses, but I think most are related to my other business ( owning and operating a taxicab) and none of the expenses are related to "Happy B****s E****t Service".

The auditor did say that he was happy with my income statements, and that he has no problem with what I reported a sincome. We are meeting next week to go over the expense questions. From what we discussed over the phone I don't think there will be any major problem with the expenses he is questioning. They are legitimate expenses but he could not find the paper to go with the computer entry, so I may have to dig around the office for some receipts, or evidence that the payments were made.

The auditor did say that he had run into what he called "interesting" cases. I am guessing that they realized that there was not a heck of a lot of money to be squeezed out of me, but they must have found a few  sellers that were not reporting anyting, or grossly under reporting.

I'll post more after the audit is complete, which may be next week.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

finedecals
Community Member

HELP!!!

OMg... ok so I haven't even thought about putting my ebay revenu in my tax return that I signed and sent to ottawa two weeks ago 😮 I have been making an average of 800 to 1 000 dollars a month.I should probably call them like ASAP, Im not trying to hide anything I work for the government on a daily basics and agree about paying taxes I just stupidely never thought about my little eBay business which I mostly take care of cuz Im studying business admin at University part time and find it interesting :S

That being said, so Pierre if I just submit a Word document like ur link it income and expenses I should be ok and just add the amount on the appropriate ligne ? I didnt keep all the postages or any other expenses ... I have maybe 3/4 of my postages receipts that I kept for ... I dont know why ?

Im actually a little freaking out right now. Do you need to registar your 'business' have a business id number with the governement and all that ?

=O my university courses aren't helping me here lol !!

Thanks for your helps friends!

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

finedecals
Community Member

Wow I wrote that so quickly and I just realized how bad my english grammar was 😮 ... sorry Im French 😞

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

finedecals
Community Member

any advice would be greatly appreciate since its gonna be the first time I declare a business income

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

There is no need to panic (yet).

Tax returns have to be filed by April 30th (businesses have until June 15th but the taxes are due on April 30th and interest is charged from April 30th).

Once you have calculated your "business income" simply prepare a corrected return (extra forms are available at the post office if needed) or use a copy of the return you already sent and make the necessary adjustments (it could look messy!).

If you owe extra money, you can include a cheque or wait for CRA to advise you how much you shiould send by April 30th when they send your tax assessment.

Yes, using a P&L based on the sample supplied over the years will work just fine as long as your numbers are relatively accurate and you can prove them in needed.  Yes, CRA does match business income information against information obtained from eBay, PayPal, Canada Post, banks, and other suppliers of goods and services.

As long as your worldwide annual sales volume (including shipping charges) remains under $30,000 you are not required to register with HST/GST although many Canadians sellers do to take advatnage of Input Tax Credits (refund of the GST/HST paid on your goods and services).

Good Luck.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

finedecals
Community Member

Ok thanks a LOT for your help ! Wich I could have the chance to meet you one day and personnal thank you!

I just wrote down expenses/incomes but it`s in 'the best of my memory'.... I don't have Staple's receipts or anything like that...

My 6 000$ income ended being a 500$ net profit.

What if they call me and I have no proof for postage, pens, enveloppes I bought ? I know how many enveloppes I send (from my ebay stores) so I put 1.50$ average for evey enveloppes cuz I sell decals so I just need one stamp... would that be ok?

Ok so the input tax credits.... does that mean I can't claim postage, enveloppes and stuff ? wow soo confuse right now...

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

"Do you need to registar your 'business' have a business id number with the governement and all that ?"

No unless your annual worldwide sales exceed $30,000 (your HST/GST registration and business numbers are the same)

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

"but it`s in 'the best of my memory'...."

From now on, why don't you make sure you pay everything with a credit card. That is the best documentation you can have.  Actually, I would recommend one card used specifically for your business.  You can use it to pay your eBay fees, your supplies, etc...

"the input tax credits.... does that mean I can't claim postage, enveloppes and stuff?"

Input Tax Credits (ITC) are valuable to recover 100% of the tax (HST/GST) you pay on your purchases, equipment and business related expenses. They can only be claimed if you are GST/HST registered. With annual sales of $5,000 I would not worry about it at this time.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

finedecals
Community Member

Oh everything is clear now. Thanks a lot for your time and your help, I really appreciate !!!

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Getting receipts at a big local charity book sale used to always be a problem.... 

Until they started using Interac.

Now I get a receipt  with name of the charity  and total paid.

Sometimes one has to watch and be very active in getting that right receipt.

Last years I spent close to $1000  at their three sales..... 

Super book sale ... hardcover sale coming up within two weeks....high quality hardcover sale that goes on for on week at a local mall.

80 % of the Canadian history table disappears within 30 minutes...

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

my little eBay business which I mostly take care of cuz Im studying business admin at University part time and find it interesting :S

:^O

A case study for your Internet Marketing class!

Message 18 of 18
latest reply