What would you dot?

Hypothetical ...

Say a buyer gets something almost two months later. The buyer is upset and leaves a negative feedback. The seller responds (in the FB)that the buyer is no good and is being blocked and all other sellers beware.

Say this was a $10 - $15 sale and this seller charges some US$6 for the shipping that costs CAD $4.10 + bubble mailer. So there is a little self-insurance fund built-in. Say this seller has 800-1000 transaction a month.

What would you do if you were that seller?
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

What would you dot?

Well, do you think that this seller is overcharging on shipping, some people probably think so.

No one knows what it really costs to send that $10-$15 item, yes it cost $4.10 for the actually postage. Then there is the bubble mailer. Of yeah, you still have to get it to the post office in a timely fashion (because of that dreaded DSR), so there is gas to take into consideration.

What about the label did that come out of the printer free, ink and paper still costs money, (I know I spend about $50-$100 on paper and ink for my printer), how about the tape to put that label on, etc.....

Sorry I have a pet peeve when it comes to postage and shipping cost.

I wouldn't be condemning this seller for their shipping, the ones that tic me off is the one that charges $19 for shipping and then you get it and it cost $5 to send.

In my case, this seller thought he was being so clever because when you get the package, it has this outrageous price on the outside, but in was in yen because it came from Singapore, when you did the conversion it turned out to be under $5 CDN. This person is scamming his customers.
NOT THE ONE you are talking about hypothetically.

Loré
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

What would you dot?

Now, Roman, were you referring to us lol?

If so, the story is different 🙂

Cheers
Bernie
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

What would you dot?

Everyone's opinion varies, but making @ 2 bucks on each item sold is fair. Packaging, time, gas, etc?
If you are shipping/handling for less, then you either need your head read, or you have quite a losing hobby on your hands.
Just my opinion. If the buyer doesn't like the clearly stated shipping costs, he should buy somewhere else. A 10 or 15 dollar sale and you get a negative? - Another joke. Who cares - move on.

Cheers,
AXE
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

What would you dot?

I wouldn't be condemning this seller for their shipping

I just stated some numbers and asked for opinion. Why do you guys need to argue something that was not argument in the first place? In fact, I was more interested about the neg and the seller response to it.

Bernie, I said it was hypothetical. You know your story, I don't care. I see something, I ask myself, if it's adequate? I am not sure, so I ask what others think. Instead, I get a lecture about gas and packaging. Screw you guys.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

What would you dot?

Your hypothetical is too fuzzy for me to figure out the chain of events.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

What would you dot?

Screw you guys.

In the past, Roman, when I spent my time helping others with their listings, I got a "thank you" instead of the above. However, I'll run your comment by Xena and see what happens (don't expect a report on the outcome) 😉

Humour aside, I take that you are frustrated because your question was not answered.

By throwing in the shipping cost equation, actually featuring it, the respondents assumed, albeit perhaps erroneously, that the negs were in relation to shipping costs or time. Hence, they voiced their opinion re. shipping costs.

Should the hypothesis be related to what happened to us, then no, shipping cost or delivery timeframe was not the trigger, even if the buyer is implying such.

Why don't you clarify your post and add an item # to move this from hypothetical to actual? Restate your question(s) and I'm sure that you will get the answers that you are seeking. I take that you were soliciting opinions as to our reaction and if there is something else that could/should have been done?

If the hypothesis was not based on our situation, I apologize. The parallels were striking!

I hope your day goes better 🙂

Cheers
Bernie
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

What would you dot?

Bernie, yes you helped me a bit and I appreciate it as I said many times through our private comms that are also irrelevant to this discussion.

I realize that you may not be so familiar with some popular phrases, so please google "Screw you guys". The literal meaning is more "I am going home" than "Screw you". No pun intended here.

I was curious if it's usual amongst sellers to be self-centered and instead of admiting the problem and taking the criticims with a little grace just throw the fecal matter back at the customer. I thought you might actually appreciate I did not point the finger all you had to do was to stay quiet.

On the other hand I found this today:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/FCB-Electronics-Peltier-LED-LCD-USA

I quote:

Purchase at FCB only if you will leave ALL 5 stars DSR. By necessity, any none 5 stars DSR giver will be blocked from future buying.

I was having fun with that shown it to my wife and she said ... "oh my god, what an ....!".
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

What would you dot?

I was curious if it's usual amongst sellers to be self-centered and instead of admiting the problem and taking the criticims with a little grace just throw the fecal matter back at the customer.

Usual....No
Does it happen....Yes
Is there too much of it on eBay.....Yes
Is it more prevalent on or off eBay.....Hmmm

The extreme desire of some sellers to prevent people from giving them money is astounding. It's a very common theme on the US Powerseller board. someone remarked there today that a 5,000 name BBL was woefully insufficient!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

What would you dot?

So, Xena went for for the screwing part :-x

I did not point the finger all you had to do was to stay quiet

No way! I love fun with a capital "L".

Ok, we had a buyer from Italy which received his merchandise for over $100 within 3 weeks (not 2 months as he claimed) but filed a PP claim within 2 weeks of paying.

He bought from 4 of our competitors and filed PP claims against each and every one (that's 100% of his purchases on eBay).

We blocked him from buying from us. He complained 3x and 3x I refused to unblock him, instead preferring to send him to the competition.

OOPS, the competition also had him blocked because he has filed claims against them all? (there are only 5 of us on eBay). Little does he know we all share BBL's 🙂

This buyer bought from 20 listings and left positive FB for 15 of the transactions. For whatever reason he did not leave FB for 5; hence his ability to leave negs.

His ONLY reason for leaving negs is that we rebuffed his repeated attempts to have the block removed.

Soooo, in answer to your question if the seller could have taken the criticism with a little grace... yes, the seller could have but choose not to.

Buyers who file INR claims against each and every one of their sellers are Persona Non Grata as far as I am concerned.

Which again brings me to the question "what is your question?"

Cheers
Bernie
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

What would you dot?

what is your question?

Ok, I will repeat it: What would you do if your buyer gets their parcel two months later ...

Why are you so defensive anyway?
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

What would you dot?

Ok, I will repeat it: What would you do if your buyer gets their parcel two months later ...

Who, I as seller?

Apologize for the postal delay and offer to throw in a freebie with the next order. Happens all the time. Take responsibility, make the buyer feel valued, look for repeat business.

Who, I as buyer?

Chalk it up up to slow postal service, especially if the postage stamp evidences expedited dispatch, don't take it out on the seller. Been there, done that.

As as seller, one must always, repeat, always remain sovereign, "above it all", and focus on customer satisfaction. After all, as a seller, you hold way more power that the occasional shopper and, therefore, should comport yourself graciously.

Why are you so defensive anyway?

I'm not. I'm having fun and, in the process, some people are falling for it ]:)

Cheers
Bernie
Message 12 of 12
latest reply