When a buyer does not use money to buy a return label...

It's been discussed a number of times here on how to handle return shipping when a buyer in another country files a return request because an item is not as described. Since we can't purchase an international label eBay has suggested that we send the buyer money through PayPal to cover that cost.  

If the buyer then then chooses not to send the item back I was under the impression that we would be out the money that we had sent to the buyer but apparently, that is not always the case!  If we use the PayPal send money function with an invoice for Goods - return shipping label (or something like that) and the buyer does not buy a label, a seller can open an inr through PayPal. I know of at least one seller who won a case like that because the buyer could not enter a tracking number showing that the 'goods' which is the label, had not been sent.

According to Trinton from eBay, other sellers have also won cases like that and received their money back. Of course the buyer would also lose their eBay claim for nad if they could not show that the item was sent back. If you want to see how I found this out the .com thread is  

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/EBAY-forcing-me-to-accept-return-item-request-from-buy...

Its a long thread and not all revelant so you might want to just read Trinton's posts.  I actually didn't believe that he was correct though until I read the posts from green-night (posts 118 and on). She confirmed that when she opened an inr through PayPal because the buyer did not purchase a label with the money she sent, she won the case. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Paypal refund me because one of my customer didnt send me the item back but i sent money thru PayPal.The other buyer sent me the package economy shipping i sent him money for expedited.They give me the money back.I find its easier to deal with PayPal.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If the buyer then then chooses not to send the item back I was under the impression that we would be out the money that we had sent to the buyer but apparently, that is not always the case!  If we use the PayPal send money function with an invoice for Goods - return shipping label (or something like that) and the buyer does not buy a label, a seller can open an inr through PayPal. I know of at least one seller who won a case like that because the buyer could not enter a tracking number showing that the 'goods' which is the label, had not been sent.

Now that would be good news.  It almost sounds like a teeny bit of 'seller protection'.   🙂 

So is this new  or has it been that way all along (since that 'seller pays rtn' thing) and people just didn't know about it?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

This is very good to know, especially for those of us who sell mostly outside of Canada.  It's one less thing to worry about if a transaction goes awry.

Perhaps sellers have been able to open INRs for a while in this way (possibly since Paypal split from eBay?), but just didn't know it because no one had thought of trying it. 

Thank you for reporting this information, 'pj'. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Now that would be good news.  It almost sounds like a teeny bit of 'seller protection'.   🙂 

So is this new  or has it been that way all along (since that 'seller pays rtn' thing) and people just didn't know about it?

I don't think that it's really new as it is basically PayPal providing buyer protection.  You are buying a label and have the right to put in a claim when you don't receive what you purchased.  I don't think that it really has anything to do with being a seller or seller protection.   It's just that none of us thought of the label as being 'goods' so never thought that we could open a case and be refunded.   That's how I see it anyway.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@fashionoutletdeal wrote:
Paypal refund me because one of my customer didnt send me the item back but i sent money thru PayPal.The other buyer sent me the package economy shipping i sent him money for expedited.They give me the money back.I find its easier to deal with PayPal.

Did you have to file an item not received case with PayPal to get your money back?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply