When a customer has paid for an item but the "funds are pending" do I still ship the item? Th

kostirykostiry
Community Member

I indicated a 2 day processing time.

Thank you

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

When a customer has paid for an item but the "funds are pending" do I still ship the item? Th

Yes.  Did you know that there is a 21-day hold on payments to new sellers?  You are, however, still required to ship the item.  If the buyer used an e-cheque you need to wait until it clears, but the funds will still be held by paypal as a sort of 'safe keeping'.  It is that way for new and infrequent sellers, - and you need to ship within 7 days of cleared payment to maintain your seller protection.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

leb17
Community Member

Hi kostirykostiry

Just to add....

"IF" it is the 21 day hold on the money and "IF" you use PP (PayPal) to print the shipping label, PP will release some of the money to ship the item.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
Here is a page describing the PayPal 21 day hold.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Do NOT ship yet!

Your buyer has paid by an "e-cheque" and the money has not been cleared by his bank. The e-cheque could still bounce.

When it clears, PP will tell you to ship, whether or not the 21 Day Hold applies.

Let your customer know that he did pay by e-cheque (many don't realize a payment from their bank account is not instant, since it comes out of the account immediately) and that you will ship as soon as possible.

After the payment clears, you have seven days to ship. But use the time while the payment is being processed by two banking systems (even Canadian e-cheques pass through PP's US bank) to parcel and weigh your sold item. Print the label as soon as PP tells you to and let your customer know the item is on its way.

The 21 Day Hold is a separate question. The payment has been cleared but PP has pending your good completion of the transaction. For that one, ship ASAP.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

<< After the payment clears, you have seven days to ship >>

That's what I said.  Well, my exact words were, "If the buyer used an e-cheque you need to wait until it clears", and "you need to ship within 7 days of cleared payment", in answer to a question about funds pending.

Or, taken directly from the link provided by scifan,  "When ... the buyer pays through PayPal, the funds may be pending in your PayPal account for 21 days....This is to help encourage fast shipping...".

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

leb17
Community Member

What is confussing is the OP says  "customer has paid", "funds are pending"

Haven't  seen "funds are pending" but have seen "Pending"

ONLY 2 possiblies here:

The buyer sent a echeck or there is a 21 day hold.

Maybe the OP will come back to clear things up a bit more.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Or both.

Up to 10 days for the echeque to clear  and then 21 days after that for Paypal to release the payment to the seller.

Tough.

And of course, the seller still must ship within 7 days of the clearing of the payment.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply