Where do I go to find out what customs fees (or how much) I can expect from electronics purchased from the US or China going to Canada

jollygrn_74
Community Member

Looking at purchasing a tablet for my daughter off here but unsure as to what to expect in customs fees for used or new tablets.

Is it a matter similar to taxes or is it a set fee for an item?

Looking at a Kindle Fire or equivalent depending on price. She has only about $65 herself to put towards device so price will be around $45-85 depending on shipping and just how good of a deal cause if I think it's worth a bit extra to get deal we'll help her out.

So if anyone could give advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Where do I go to find out what customs fees (or how much) I can expect from electronics purchased from the US or China going to Canada

andy-44
Community Member

It's like taxes, a percentage of the value but they may also add on Brokerage Fees (depends on who processes it at the border) which can double the amount due.

It's a very erratic process, sometimes they will let an item through without duty other times they slap as much as 20% on the value in duty/brokerage.  Unless the deal is super good you are often better off just buying in a store..

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Any item over $20 canadian , be prepared to pay on delivery.. Nornal taxes for your province GST/HST/PST @ the sale price (excludes shipping cost) + duty (to my knowledge none on ereaders) + by mail , a Canada Post clearing fee $9.95.

Avoid sellers who ship UPS/FEDEX courier as will be charged an expensive brokerage fee.

Factor these costs in your decision to bid/purchase.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

andy-44
Community Member

It's like taxes, a percentage of the value but they may also add on Brokerage Fees (depends on who processes it at the border) which can double the amount due.

It's a very erratic process, sometimes they will let an item through without duty other times they slap as much as 20% on the value in duty/brokerage.  Unless the deal is super good you are often better off just buying in a store..

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Any item over $20 canadian , be prepared to pay on delivery.. Nornal taxes for your province GST/HST/PST @ the sale price (excludes shipping cost) + duty (to my knowledge none on ereaders) + by mail , a Canada Post clearing fee $9.95.

Avoid sellers who ship UPS/FEDEX courier as will be charged an expensive brokerage fee.

Factor these costs in your decision to bid/purchase.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply