Who is paid the import fees?

xtoiletseatgirlx
Community Member

When I pay an import fee,  does the money go to the seller?

What happens if I pay the import fees to the seller and I'm charged additional import fees from the shipping company? I understand there are import fees, but do I really have to pay them twice??

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Shipping fees go to the seller. Import fees go to the government agency that handles the importing of goods into the buyer's country.

Here is a link to the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency)

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

"Under the provisions of the Postal Imports Remission Order, if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, you don’t have to pay duty or taxes on the item. If the item is worth more than CAN$20, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item’s full value. "

"To process goods imported as mail that are subject to duty and/or tax, Canada Post charges the recipient CAN$9.95. If the item is duty-free and tax exempt, no amount is charged."

They provide you with a link if you disagree with the duty/tax assessed .

If you buy from the US, make sure the seller ships using USPS. If they use UPS or FedEx, you would be charged the shipping fee (which does to the seller) plus a hefty brokerage fee charged by UPS or FedEx which includes the import tax charged by your government.

Global shipping on ebay is new which is supposed to make things easier for the buyer (I hope it does). You will not pay twice for import fees.

Non paying buyers deserve unpaid item strikes.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You pay the import taxes to whichever countries government you are located in.

The seller does not and can not charge you the import fees in advance UNLESS they are using the new Global Shipping Program. If they are using that, you will know. If you don't know what the GSP is, you most likely haven't paid the import fees yet (if any).

To sum it up:

SHIPPING and IMPORT fees are different.

SHIPPING fees go to the seller

IMPORT fees go to the government

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

"Import fees" should be clarified..

Duty and taxes ..paid by carrier to Canada Revenue Agency at clearing.

Brokerage.. carriers charge for clearing process , on your behalf.

Ebay's Global Shipping Program..all charges paid at checkout , otherwise , to carrier on delivery.

Via Canada Post.. $9.95 for clearing ( actually for collecting on behalf of CRA)

Courier.. An expensive fee based on declared value.

A seller might  refer to import if shipping by IE UPS express.. brokerage fee is included in shipping cost but on delivery , will need to collect  duty/taxes plus misc. fees such as posted bond fee.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

guyfromcanada
Community Member

This program is complete garbage !!!!!  Not only will it charge us more but it will delay items by up to a week!!!  Since the seller has to ship the item to an ebay shipping center (wth!!!) Over 130 auctions and never paid an import charge from the U.S. 

I will no longer bid or buy items from the U.S. again.  

The fat cats get fatter.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Im totally put off from ebay now with these import charges up front! Import charges on a used item...really? It's not right. It should not be Ebay collecting import charges, leave it up to the country that the item is shipped too.

At the very most it should be up to the buyer if they choose to pay the ebay import charges up front, they should not be made to pay them. Ebay will loose a lot of buyers by implementaing these import charges.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply