Why am i being charged roughly 30% import fees?

anthony_m2k6
Community Member

I won an auction for 3 pairs of shoes. These are made in the US shoes.

I now find out that there is a 50 dollar import fee? Why? taxes would be 15-20 dollars, so whta is the 30 dollars for?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

There are more fees for importation than you realize.

Assuming that the shoes cost more than $20, you will be charged a service fee by the shipper.

If the shipper is Canada Post, that is $9. If it is a courier like UPS, it will be $25 or more depending on the value.

There will be provincial and federal sales taxes (PST, HST, GST depending on province.) This can run over 15% of the declared value.

Finally there may be duty on the shoes. Even under NAFTA a few products are still dutiable.

It is a good idea, when considering items valued over $20 , confirming with the seller that she will ship by Canada Post. Not only do they charge the lowest service fee (although not always the lowest shipping) but often parcels are not charged as they pass through. Don't count on the latter though.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi .. These are the issues that are going to arise with sellers using ebay's global shipping program. Import charges are being determined by a clerk working for Pitney Bowes and buyer has no means of redress.

I would think Allen Edmond shoes should be duty free but would have to call CBSA to confirm..

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/menu-eng.html

If free , can fill out claim on back of customs form on arrival. Would eventually get a refund for duty charged.

when viewing a listing in first section under shipping if you see ..import charges..to be provided at checkout , seller is using this program.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

All good in theory but I this simply screams SCAM to me. I can not believe that the fees you have described are magically distributed to all of the various agencies you have listed. I suspect that these fees are simply pocket by a single agent and I have seen nothing to allay those suspicions. At this point I refuse to buy from anyone tat is taking on these fees.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

How can this be justified? Im a longtime ebayer......but **bleep** is it with 30% import charge? Is this how they tackle the "gifting" issue......NAFTA is for americans......not canadians.....ill never buy another thing from the US on ebay..... ridiculous!!!!!#

Message 5 of 5
latest reply