Why are there double standards for listing items?

Re:

Just after winning this item and issuing funds, I discovered in the very small print that this is a 'replication'.

'Replication' is not a word in the English language and I presume it means it is a fake.

Ebay has been very forceful with me and others when listing reproductions. Ebay has established a process that the reverse side of the stamp must have the phrase COPY or REPRODUCTION or FAKE.

That did not happen here.

I am very concerned about the double standards applied to certain sellers, and that Ebay would have allowed this stamp to be listed without a picture of the reverse side, and without the words COPY or REPRODUCTION or FAKE.

This is a major issue.

I await your reply.

c.c. Seller

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

" I discovered in the very small print"

You call big bright blue letters small print? The word was there before you bid two days before the auction ended.

Replication is a word: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/replication?s=t. There are even ebay listings that say "rite of replication".

Although the back of the stamps were not shown, the listing does meet this part of the stamps policy:

• it must be clearly stated in the title and/or description

I hope you're not going to back out of this transaction because you didn't notice the description.

By the way, you should consult a dictionary before you state what is or is not a word in the English language.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I don't know whether replica stamps are permitted or not.

eBay does permit replicas in certain catagories but I don't know if stamps is one of them.

Replica coins were banned from eBay last year although they are not on the list of prohibited items you see when you go to the link.

As your item was listed on the UK site it is the UK rules the seller must abide by.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/replica-counterfeit.html

I would suggest asking on the eBay UK Discussion Boards if sellers in the UK can sell replica stamps.

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Discussion-Boards/ct-p/13

BTW you are posting on a public forum not addressing eBay

Anyone with a computer and internet can see the personal information that you posted.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

There is a part of philatelic collecting that concerns itself with "Fakes, forgeries,counterfeits and cinderellas." In addition, some postal agencies (and some printers) have reissued or reprinted stamps for collectors.

There have been philatelic exhibits that have won national gold awards using (idenified) forgeries. And of course, the Sperati forgeries are sought after.

In this case,  'replication' is not a common word, and may have been used knowingly to avoid having eBay's 'bots prevent the listing which would have happened if the 'banned' words were used.

Be that as it may, although the problem was addressed in the listing, you can still return it for a full refund. Start by contacting the seller and explaining your disappointment.\

If that does not get you a quick refund (expect to return the stamp with Confirmed Delivery at your own expense), go to Paypal. Again, you will have to pay return postage.

And read more carefully in future. If you don\t understand a word, look it up.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply