Why can't i open a case for a non-paying bidder?

s_s_and_m
Community Member

I recently sold an item of mine on the 15th of December, and about 2 days after, i tried to cancel the transaction after recieving a better offer from another buyer. The buyer who won the auction declined my request to do so, as a result i just stuck to selling it to the winning bidder since it's rightfully his.

It has now been 5 days since then and he still hasn't payed nor responded to the numerous messages i have sent, so i tried opening a case for a non-paying bidder, but whenever i try it, ebay says i can't have 2 cases open at once. I don't understand this because my previous case (to cancel the transaction) has been closed according to ebay? Somone please help me on this, since i'm pretty confident that this buyer won't be paying anytime soon seeing as how they don't even reply to my messages.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hi .. You are the author of your own misfortune trying to renege on a sale. We only get one kick at the can. Once buyer denies a cancel , can't then file an unpaid.

If buyer is now having second thoughts and doesn't pay , will have lost your final value fee.

Cancel should only be filed with the knowledge that buyer will accept when ebay asks.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

eBay gives buyers four days to pay before you can open a dispute.

You shouldn't have tried to reneg on the sale before following the proper procedure.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

It's an either or situation. You either file an unpaid item dispute or you send a request to cancel. You can't do both on the same transaction.

I have read over the years of sellers who ended an auction early because someone made an offer. The seller relisted the item at a buy it now price and the person who made the offer never bought it.

Are you aware that the "better offer" could have been bogus? It is very possible the other buyer could have been stringing you along.

Your legitimate buyer may be holding your item in limbo because you keep sending them emails. We do not know know you have said in those emails but maybe you have made the buyer mad enough to not paying knowing that you cannot file an unpaid item dispute against them. Additionally, they can leave whatever feedback they wish.

In the future, follow through with your sales and if a buyer doesn't pay within 4 days, file an unpaid item dispute. Once the dispute is closed and you have your final value fee credit, you can then relist or make a second chance offer.

Non paying buyers deserve unpaid item strikes.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply