Why do I keep getting fraudulous sells on my store ?

Hi ! Since I started selling on ebay 3 months ago, everyweek (at least !) I get a "fake" sell. Basically, an item sells and I receive an invoice request saying :

Hi mate, glad I won your item. Please email me at (email) condition of the item I will be going for an appointment now and will be able to access my email from my iPhone, so email me (email) using the item number as the subject, Also add your PayPal email cheers'

This is a FRAUD and usually, hours later ebay contacts me saying that this person's account has been used without their consent. This is screwing up with my numbers and, of course, making me loose so much time since I have to relist everything and I lose potential buyers... 

I did update the buyer's requirements but it keeps happening... Anybody else here ? What can I do ?

HELP ! 

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Why do I keep getting fraudulous sells on my store ?

First it's 'fraudulent' and 'sale'.

Fraudulous is not a word and 'sell' is a verb while 'sale' is a noun. 

I feel better now.

Since you are selling a lot of high value designer products, I would suggest that you do two things.

First - go to your Seller Preferences and opt to Block buyers who do not have active Paypal accounts.

Second- since you are already using Fixed Price, add Immediate Payment Required.

I also would like you to think about your shipping.

It looks like you have Flat Rate Shipping to Canada.

Since you will be using parcel rates for most of your items (if the package is over 500 grams and 2cm thick), I would suggest that you use Calculated Shipping.

And Expedited Parcel is usually a tad cheaper than Regular Parcel.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Fool around with postal codes and services to see if you like it.

Use metric, btw, Canada Post went metric in 1974 and anything else is guessing.

It also looks like you are shipping worldwide.

This is probably the source of most of those fraudulent sales. (See what I did there?)

You can Block any country you want on the Sell Your Item form.

Do you really want to ship to Bhutan? Or Nigeria?

You also do not have shipping to the USA set up. An American customer (our biggest market) would have to contact you for shipping cost.

Instead she is likely to move on. Especially if she is one of the 52% of buyers shopping on her phone.

The USA is one destination where Flat Rate Shipping does work. Most parcel services will go anywhere in the US for the same price. Including Hawai'i.

And when you offer Flat Rate Shipping, especially on very high value items, consider making them Free Shipping.

DON'T PANIC!

Free Shipping just means adding your shipping cost to the price of the product.

Which is cheaper:

A $350 jacket with $15 shipping or a $365 jacket with Free Shipping?

Another turnoff is this statement:

Please, contact me before proceeding a return so that we can both agree on the procedure. Thank you !

Don't give the customer such vague instructions.

Your policy should be that everything will go fine.

I do encourage sellers to offer returns, because No Returns does not mean No Refunds, but a better statement would be just to opt for the default Return Policy under Other Details.

Selling high end goods is difficult, all the more so when restrictions on new sellers means that incomplete or cancelled sales make it difficult to add more products to your listings.

Best wishes for a successful career.

PS- No I never do shut up. In addition to the manufacturer's size, it is important to add the actual measurements in the listing. Not just Size Medium or Size 12  but  36" Bust or 23" seam to seam.  Stops returns.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply