Why do sellers do this?

I know that this is an open market, but . . .
I got a good deal on half a dozen pristine copies of a recent horse book at a couple of bucks each, and listed one at $5.95 starting price. It went for $22.50, and the second bidder picked up the 'second chance' at $22.00. Yippee! think I - a nice little profit maker. I go to list another copy and see that a US PS has listed the same book for BIN $9.95.
Why would someone do that? Don't they research first? Competition is one thing but this just kills the golden goose!
Thanks for listening to me whine
Ann
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Why do sellers do this?

jaymor8
Community Member
Ann - my sweety has the same problem with computer batteries. He pretty well have a great thing going for a good while and he made nice money on them. Then all of a sudden the market is flooded with sellers putting BINs at ridiculous amounts and now he can't get a decent price for them. So, all he can do is wait for the other market to dry up and then he can go back. But, I sure know what you mean.

Good luck,

Jackie...
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Why do sellers do this?

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
I had the same problem. In the spring I was the only one on eBay selling blue and purple violins and they were gone in a matter of a few weeks selling for as much as $275 US each.

I received a new shipment in just before December, listed them but got no sales. I did a search on eBay.com and all of a sudden there are all these US Music stores selling blue violins on eBay with BIN at $150 US.

No problem for me as can I sell mine (and better quality) for less than than they can purchase thiers for so I have been selling tons over Christmas with a $110 US reserve and a BIN of $135 with bidding sometimes getting me $175 for the instruments.

Its nice to beat the wolves at their own game once in a while.

Malcolm

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Why do sellers do this?

ospreylinks
Community Member
You bought for a couple of bucks and sold for $22.00... yikes.... whats that about a billion % margin.... hmmm sounds a bit like Bre-X. (and we all know what happened to Bre-X) Good things can't go on forever, so cash in quick and move on...

To me that strikes me as just lucky, after all your starting price was $5.95, so that was still below the US BIN offer....so had the item not been bid up, wouldn't you have been satisfied with the $5.95...(well I guess not now, knowing you could get in excess of 20 bucks)

Jeff
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Why do sellers do this?

shooger
Community Member
I guess that's finance for you! Isn't supply and demand a main concept? I think that you were lucky to get those two inflated prices, and should be glad. Competition is what drives the market, so you have to compete or get stepped on.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply