Why is it necessary to keep repeating this on the SYI form?

Can anybody explain why it's necessary to check off the 2nd set of boxes with destinations in the SYI form, after I've already selected those countries (as well as Canada and the U.S.), and already have my exclusion list set up?  (See screen shot below).

If anyone knows the reason, I'd appreciate hearing it, because I have to do this over and over again, apparently in order to get countries like Australia to show up in my shipping section of listings even if I've already chosen Australia in the "International" shipping section.  

It might make it less frustrating to know if it's a permanent design flaw or a glitch that will never change.  I keep hoping eBay will notice and fix it. 

March6-ScreenShot.png

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I think the second check marks are for countries that you ship to but do not have a shipping price for.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I'm not sure why they have to be re-checked everytime, but I too have noticed this. I just re-check them just to make sure, kind of got used to it. When I edit my listings, under International shipping, Russia, China, and Brazil are usually unchecked. Under countries you ship to, all are unchecked, and I have to re-check them, maybe a glitch.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I just leave it as Will Ship Worldwide. In the very occasional instance that I don't want to ship somewhere, I use the Blocked Countries instead,but mostly I will ship anything anywhere.

For the right price. Which the buyer pays.

I do get messages from New Zealand or Turkey from time to time enquiring about shipping cost. (Why is there no Australasia choice which would include Australia and New Zealand?)

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

You don't need to check off Germany or France in either list as they are covered under Europe but I don't think that it is necessary to check off that second list at all.  As another poster said, it looks as if it is for additional locations that you don't have a shipping cost for. It's odd that it is even on the form.

Have you tried leaving it blank and then checking to see which shipping locations are showing? Most of my listings are worldwide so that list doesn't show up but when I do restrict some of the countries and I see that second list, I usually just ignore it.

I'm not sure what you mean about Australia not showing up unless you do things that way as I've never read anything about that. You might be thinking about New Zealand but the way you have it set up now doesn't give a shipping price to New Zealand. In order to include it you would have to ship worldwide and then do exclusions for the countries you didn't want to ship to.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The issue is caused by a misunderstanding of the information message.

The line below is an informational message

Exclude countries you don't want to ship to by using the Exclude shipping locations option.
(If the option does not appear, click Add or remove options.)

and is not related to and does not apply to the section that follows.

Additional ship to locations - buyers contact for costs

and the countries list that follows.

It applies to the section that follows

Excluded shipping locations

The two sections are not related. The informational message should follow the section

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

You don't need to check off Germany or France in either list as they are covered under Europe but I don't think that it is necessary to check off that second list at all.  As another poster said, it looks as if it is for additional locations that you don't have a shipping cost for. It's odd that it is even on the form.

Have you tried leaving it blank and then checking to see which shipping locations are showing? Most of my listings are worldwide so that list doesn't show up but when I do restrict some of the countries and I see that second list, I usually just ignore it.

I'm not sure what you mean about Australia not showing up unless you do things that way as I've never read anything about that. You might be thinking about New Zealand but the way you have it set up now doesn't give a shipping price to New Zealand. In order to include it you would have to ship worldwide and then do exclusions for the countries you didn't want to ship to.

No, I think you're mistaken.  This is exactly the problem I've been having, which I only discovered by accident one day when I tested my "Shipping" tab information.  Australia wasn't appearing.  When I revised the listing to tick off Australia in the second box -- voilà! -- suddenly it was there.  New Zealand shows up if I check off "Asia" in the second box, but not otherwise, and I haven't managed to revise all my listings for this yet.  Germany and France don't seem to be a problem, but then I always check off both "Europe" and those two countries.  

I would switch to using "worldwide" as 'reallynicestamps' suggests, but then my exclusion list would be wider than my 'ship to' destinations, which I think might be rather disingenuous.  I mean, worldwide should mean mostly everywhere. 

As 'melissa' mentioned, I've got into the habit of checking off all the applicable items in the second box now, but it's just one more thing to remember to do in the myriad of things to do to complete the SYI form (if I'm doing a listing "from scratch" on eBay).  When I prepare my listings from within Auctiva, which I prefer for many other reasons, I find I always have to go back and double-check that second box.  But that's another story.  

I've also noticed that "Russian Federation" suddenly popped up on most of my listings a few weeks ago, even though I've excluded it, and even though I never check it off in the 2nd box -- when I go to revise one of those listings, there it is, checked off in the 2nd box.  I know I didn't do that.  

I simply think that eBay could tidy up this little mess to make things a lot clearer.  After all these years, you would think eBay could make the shipping options plain and logical in their SYI form.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

The issue is caused by a misunderstanding of the information message.

The line below is an informational message

Exclude countries you don't want to ship to by using the Exclude shipping locations option.

(If the option does not appear, click Add or remove options.)

and is not related to and does not apply to the section that follows.

and the countries list that follows.

It applies to the section that follows

Excluded shipping locations

The two sections are not related. The informational message should follow the section

Sorry 'poco', I'm not quite following you.  If you mean that the 2nd box of choices is for additional "ship to" locations that aren't otherwise specified, that's exactly what I thought for a long time too -- and that would be the logical use for that section!  

However, since I discovered that some locations weren't showing up in the drop-down box in my "Shipping" tab section of listings unless I checked off the appropriate boxes in the duplicate section, I now just check them off as a matter of course.  This seems to affect particularly to Australia and NZ, although I haven't carefully tested for other countries.

The fact that "Russian Federation" suddenly started being checked in that 2nd list made me wonder whether it was a glitch or whether eBay had some purpose behind it.  Since I always have to remove that check-mark anyway, I might as well keep ticking off the other boxes as I've been doing.  It just seems like messy, time-wasting design to me. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply