Why no action against powersellers gone bad?

x-modz
Community Member
Ok, I know this came up a while back, but why is it that eBay still is not keeping an eye on current powersellers who go bad in a big way..

I just made a last second purchase from a Toronto based powerseller yesterday evening.. Seller was close to me, had a very high FB rating, and was a PS.

Unfortunately I didn't look into his FB history untill afterwards.. With the very short period of time between the end of the auction, and when I placed my bid (I just stumbled across the item, which was exactly what I was looking for) I didn't have time to investigate much.

Anyhow, I get the post-auction email this evening, and am floored by the S&H charges this guy quotes...especially after the auction clearly stated "No handling charges".

Suffice to say that there was a clear and blatant case of fee avoidance happening... Item sells on the cheap, so difference is made up on absurd shipping charges.

I was slighly preturbed, so I then looked into the sellers feedback history:

Past 7 days Past month Past 6 mo.
Positive 777 3264 17268
Neutral 42 142 880
Negative 64 183 933

64 Negs in the last 7 days.. One in *TWELVE* feedback is negative! History of neutrals is even worse.

Looking back at the problem feedback, it appears I'm not the only one with problems with this PS.

His FB rating is now tanked at 93% positive, much below what is supposed to be allowable for PS'ers, No?

Why isn't eBay instuting some sort of automated algorithm to at least keep an eye on basic issues, such as PS feedback percentages? Should something that would trigger a review not happen automatically?

It's a big tarnish on the PS program when sellers like this are allowed to be part of it.

To his credit, I did email the seller earlier today quoting the discrepencies in shipping quoted, versus what would be proper, and the situation was remedied (Much more appropriate total now!), but I'm sure that there's others that aren't pursiung it quite as agressively as I did, and are getting stung badly.

The FB history sure seems to suggest that this seller isn't exactly PowerSeller material anymore...?
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

gloriaguides
Community Member
Well, he's not that bad and he should be removed fairly soon. It takes a month or two for ebay to "catch up" on these people when they are eliminated because of negative feedback. Reassessment once a month is how it's done. And the guy still has lots of listing and is paying them huge fees. I wouldn't buy from him!! He may be on his way to going bad, but he's got piles of negatives over the last 6 months and is still going along merrily. 93.8% isn't good enough for me, especially when I read some of the neutrals too
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
The auction I see you purchased yesterday states:

"We guarantee our net shipping rates are lower than Post Office and UPS published rates. Our shipping rate includes the insurance, package and handling fee. "
Do you have another buying ID?
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

momosworld
Community Member
x-modz...where are you located?

Toronto? Vancouver? Newfoundland?

My mommy says i'm cool

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

x-modz
Community Member
Labels: I do have another ID, but It's been dormant for years w/zero FB - I use my primary account for everything... Why's that?

momosworld: I'm just east of Toronto..that's why I was preturbed about the shipping charges being astronomical - I'm literally only about a 35 minute *drive* from this seller. For what I was initlally quoted for "S&H" I could have had the thing couriered out directly my house by 1 hour direct drive service, probably! 🙂
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

cmagor-ctvi
Community Member
So did this guy lose his PS status already? Doesn't seem to be a PS as far as I can see now, anyway.

I also had a similar experience with these clowns a few months ago - had to "negotiate" the shipping because it was ridiculously high when first quoted. Left enough of a bad taste in my mouth that I will never do business with them again.

By the way, you mentioned it was a rush, last-minute bid but I hope you noticed that it is missing the power adapter. Battery charger without that is not going to be of much use unless it's to replace another on that died on you!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply