Why sales really bad, and what can we do!

out-boards
Community Member

Wow things are pretty bad as far as sales or buyers from the US. I am selling some stuff, but barely enough to cover my store fees. and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There might be some minor things i could do to improve my sales but nothing drastic.

Pierre would probably agree that the best time we had for sales was the adcommerce that ebay had setup, man I was selling like crazy at that time. but they cancelled the program.

I would like to discuss the other options to advertise our ebay stores to increase sales, has any body had any luck with them.

I could tell you that i tried the google adds and basically they were a waist of money, i hardly noticed a difference in sales or traffic but maybe that's just me.

Have you guys found anything that works?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

"Have you guys found anything that works?"

No.  AdCommerce was an excellent, inexpensive program, and it worked!  For every $50 I spent, I received over $1,000 in additional sales.

Ad Commerce was the third generation "advertising by sellers" for extra fee program offered by eBay. Unfortunately, while profitable for many sellers, none of them made money for eBay and that is the only thing they look at.  It is more profitable for eBay to openly advertise prostitution with outside links than offering paid links to sellers listings or stores.

I expect eBay is now working on a fourth generation program to be offered within a year or two.

"minor things I could improve..."

May I suggest you delete the following from your listings:

"Please contact Canada post with any questions as to the location of your item or concerns on the elapsed time for delivery.

A NOTE TO FEEDBACK:

eBay has implemented a 5-Star rating system. When rating us for "shipping time", please keep in mind that this refers to how quickly the seller ships after receiving cleared payment (we ship within 24 hours) and NOT how long the package takes to arrive to you, as the seller has absolutely no control over Canada Post's delivery times.

Instead, you may want to insert a note with every shipment similar to what I have been doing for years (since the introduction of DSR):

"One minute of your time, please.  It is important.

Great care is taken to provide all my customers with “five star” service for all aspects of every transaction.

Positive feedback is posted on eBay upon receipt of payment.  Buyers are quickly advised of shipping time (typically within 24 hours of confirmation). Stamps, booklets and souvenir sheets are packaged carefully then heat-sealed in plastic bag and affixed to sturdy backing for maximum protection while in transit.

If you agree the quality of service provided deserves a “five star” rating, please take a minute to post your positive feedback on eBay. Your feedback and “five star” rating on all aspects of this transaction are important to me.  Five star ratings eventually reflect lower eBay fees resulting in my ability to maintain lower prices for you.

If you feel “five star” rating is undeserved, please let me know so the next transaction will satisfy you."

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I agree sales have been awful. IMO the *current* main problem is the listing sales.

These increase the amount of competition, especially from lowball sellers who are reluctant to spend on listings but will gladly list when it is free. I don't know if that is an issue in your category.

What is your opinion on using the expanded number of characters you have available to use in titles? I notice you have shorter titles in many cases.

I try to maximize, but have heard tell that too many words could actually work against you in some cases. I do notice that I will get visited by people searching the more rare words. BUT - does that affect standing in best match? Who knows?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

rosssandlab
Community Member

I heard it was amazon. They come to Canada in full auction mode. it will be worse I think.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Pierre,

There you go again, soliciting feedback. Just like some car salesmen I know.

Maybe it works for you but I sure wouldn't recommend soliciting FB to anyone else.

However, I do agree with your suggestion to the poster that he delete his advisory about contacting Canada Post and the note on feedback.

Tom

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

out-boards
Community Member

Good Point! I will modifie it in the future but first i want to filter out my items that have been listed for two years, I figure if they havent sold yet, I may as well remove them. After all it is costing me to keep them listed

Message 6 of 6
latest reply