Will I have to pay any more in shipping if the price is quoted in Canadian funds

bish439
Community Member

I am from Canada and want to purchase something from the US.  They have US shipping price and a Canadian shipping price.  Will I have to pay any more on shipping other than what is quoted?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Will I have to pay any more in shipping if the price is quoted in Canadian funds

Hello 'bish439',

It seems odd that you are looking at a listing which clearly displays two shipping fees.

However, as you are Canadian you will naturally pay the Canadian (higher) fee.  Shipping

things internationally is really expensive.  If you want to know what it costs to mail things

up here from the US, have a look:

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10054

You weren't thinking on buying something from a seller choosing to use that Global

Shipping Program, were you?  Those are the listings which have the words in grey:

"Customs services and international tracking provided", under the title when you are

scrolling through listings,  as if this was something good.

Beside that is a shipping fee which for some reason is always lower than the real one

you discover when you click to view the listing.  You then see a shipping fee, plus the

current level of import charges (none if the value of the item is under $20 Cdn) which will

go up and up and up and up as the bidding increases.

These are the listings that shout out, "No additional import charges at delivery!" as if they

were really helping you out and saving you a great deal.

If you buy from one of those listings you will invariably pay far more for shipping

than if you found a seller who ships plain old First Class International to Canada, -- which

provides tracking with Delivery Confirmation, all for one reasonable price.

So you weren't thinking of doing that, were you?

Anyway, when viewing the listing, click on the Shipping and Payments tab, and that should

tell you what it costs to ship to Canada.

If you find the whole thing unclear, go back to the Description tab and at the bottom where it

says Questions and answers about this item, use the Ask a question link to explain to the seller

that you are not sure what he charges to mail the item to Canada.

Best wishes for your purchase  Smiley Happy 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

You will pay the Canadian rate for shipping.

If the item is over $20 you may also be liable for duty and sales tax. The shipper will also charge you a service fee.

As a buyer, look for sellers who say they ship to Canada with First Class International Postage.

If the item is under $100, avoid sellers who use the Global Shipping Program.

With GSP and with any courier, you will be charged sales tax and service charge plus any applicable duty (duty varies).

With USPS /Canada Post you will probably avoid this. Probably. Usually.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply