Will I receive a credit for shipping?

I sold a wallet to a buyer in the USA (I'm in Canada). The buyer did not respond when I asked how they'd like it shipped, so I chose the cheapest option that provided tracking. I sent the buyer an invoice with the shipping cost, but again I received no response. I saw that they received the item so I opened an unpaid item case. I just closed it today and ebay says I'll receive a final value fee credit.

My question is - will I be receiving compensation for the shipping cost (about $17 CAD)? In my "All Selling" page, it lists the sale price of the item but there's nothing about shipping. I've had some bad experiences with ebay lately so I'm very frustrated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@playboyrodent wrote:

I sold a wallet to a buyer in the USA (I'm in Canada). The buyer did not respond when I asked how they'd like it shipped, so I chose the cheapest option that provided tracking. I sent the buyer an invoice with the shipping cost, but again I received no response. I saw that they received the item so I opened an unpaid item case. I just closed it today and ebay says I'll receive a final value fee credit.

My question is - will I be receiving compensation for the shipping cost (about $17 CAD)? In my "All Selling" page, it lists the sale price of the item but there's nothing about shipping. I've had some bad experiences with ebay lately so I'm very frustrated.

Until you ship the item eBay will NOT have charged any FVF on shipping -- so there is nothing to refund.

On  the other hand, looking at your message, it's a bit unclear -- do mean that you shipped the item BEFORE getting paid?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Here's a life lesson.

Don't ship until you are paid.

I saw that they received the item so I opened an unpaid item case. I just closed it today and ebay says I'll receive a final value fee credit.

All you will ever see is the FVF.

The buyer was supposed to send you his payment before you shipped.

Just because I'm wondering, does the cashier at the supermarket allow you to take your groceries home and pay later at your leisure?

'Cause I want to know the name and location of that store.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Yeah, I shipped the item before I received payment. Probably a goof move, but I was under the impression that I only had a few business days to do it?
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yeah, I shipped the item before I received payment. Probably a goof move, but I was under the impression that I only had a few business days to do it?

Sort of.
The magic words are: After cleared payment.
When a buyer uses a Paypal account backed by his balance or by a credit card, PP payments are instantly cleared.
If the PP account is backed by a bank account, it can take up to 10 days for the 'e-cheque' to clear the US and Canadian banking system. Only then are you required to ship.
You have seven days to ship, but that is to keep your Seller Protection. You could ship a month later but that would be foolish. Some sellers of custom-made items ship well after the seven days. But that is the exceptional specialty case.

Complicating things for new sellers, PP puts a Hold on your customer's cleared payment for 21 days, against your good performance. You can buy PP shipping labels with the Held funds, and those are actually discounted from PO counter rates.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply