Will someone please tell me why they don't ship to certain countries ?

HI Everyone

Thank you for your time

I would like to make an 'excluded countries" list  but I don't know why sellers don't ship to certain countries.  I understand not shipping International Surface. But if I ship with insurance I don't understand the problems shipping anywhere that Canada Post allows.

I have noticed that it seems some services are not applicable to certain countries ??? But I am not sure, if so, is there a list of these countries anywhere?

Also, how to handle scams?  If someone claims they didn't receive an item and it has a tracking number and insurance, I can't really prove different, if they are adamant it is their word against the PO's.  And if I want positive feed back, do I really have any options but to refund the customer ?  Are certain countries more prone to scams ?

One last thing....can I say that I will not assume responsibility for the shipment if they choose International Packet Air without insurance ?

I realize that this might be a sensitive topic, and in that case if you would contact me privately that would be GREAT !!

Thank you all for all the time you take answering this and all questions.  I don't see all the time but I really appreciate all the answers I have gotten by reading these forums. 

Shirley

mags_finds

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have noticed that it seems some services are not applicable to certain countries ??? But I am not sure, if so, is there a list of these countries anywhere?

I understand that the private, 3rd party insurer shipsure has a list of countries where they will not insure against loss or damage in transit. This is because they have run the numbers and found that the risk is too high. Some countries have horrible postal or customs systems. Some have high rates of postal theft. Some are fraught by war.

Most sellers will not ship to Africa. I have the continent Blocked, but I will ship to South Africa and Egypt, which are somewhat better than most.

Canada Post will give you a list -and prices- for parcels to countries when you are checking for specific rates. But the shipshure list is easier.

If someone claims they didn't receive an item and it has a tracking number and insurance, I can't really prove different, if they are adamant it is their word against the PO's. 

Well yes, you can prove different. That's what the tracking number does.

Cui bono? The PO doesn't have any great benefit to claiming something is delivered when it is not. The customer could get the item plus a refund. Who benefits? Who has clean hands?

If you are selling inexpensive items, I'd skip both in favour of Cookie Jar Insurance. Search the term. I rabbit on about it endlessly.

can I say that I will not assume responsibility for the shipment if they choose International Packet Air without insurance ?

No.

If you accept Paypal you accept responsibility. After all, you chose the service and sub-contracted to them. The buyer expects to receive his purchase within 45 days (the deadline for Item Not Recieved disputes through eBay/PP) and if your sub-contractor (CanadaPost/ Universal Postal Union) does not deliver as promised, you are responsible to your buyer and the sub is responsible to you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I understand that the private, 3rd party insurer shipsure has a list of countries where they will not insure against loss or damage in transit. This is because they have run the numbers and found that the risk is too high. Some countries have horrible postal or customs systems. Some have high rates of postal theft. Some are fraught by war.

Most sellers will not ship to Africa. I have the continent Blocked, but I will ship to South Africa and Egypt, which are somewhat better than most.

Canada Post will give you a list -and prices- for parcels to countries when you are checking for specific rates. But the shipshure list is easier.

If someone claims they didn't receive an item and it has a tracking number and insurance, I can't really prove different, if they are adamant it is their word against the PO's. 

Well yes, you can prove different. That's what the tracking number does.

Cui bono? The PO doesn't have any great benefit to claiming something is delivered when it is not. The customer could get the item plus a refund. Who benefits? Who has clean hands?

If you are selling inexpensive items, I'd skip both in favour of Cookie Jar Insurance. Search the term. I rabbit on about it endlessly.

can I say that I will not assume responsibility for the shipment if they choose International Packet Air without insurance ?

No.

If you accept Paypal you accept responsibility. After all, you chose the service and sub-contracted to them. The buyer expects to receive his purchase within 45 days (the deadline for Item Not Recieved disputes through eBay/PP) and if your sub-contractor (CanadaPost/ Universal Postal Union) does not deliver as promised, you are responsible to your buyer and the sub is responsible to you.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Payment is due within 3 days after auction. 

I ship worldwide and I am happy to combine shipping. 

I charge exact shipping amounts plus a small 1.00 handling fee for supplies and gas.

I'd drop the two Terms of Sale I highlighted in red. For 'payment due', good buyers will be paying immediately and bad buyers will ignore it. Just send a reminder on Day Three and open the Dispute on Day Four. Don't talk about problems that may never happen.

Buyers are strange about shipping. They get all upset if the shipping is higher than the selling price. That they bought a lifesize lead elephant for $9.99 doesn't mean that they are willing to pay for shipping it  to their doorstep in Iqaluit.

Think about using Free Shipping to Canada (which means including the shipping price in the asking price) or Calculated Shipping which gives the shipping to the doorstep (especially useful with Regular Parcel ,where there are different rates for different parts of the country) and somehow looks more official.

Oh. when selling garments include the fabric and actual measurements. Sizes are meaningless.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply