Winning bid cancelled at the last moment and item placed on sale at a much higher price.

I bidded on the following item: eBay Bid Cancellation Notice - Item 281322594207 : BARACK OBAMA signed lstED KIDS LETTERS to Presdient OBAMA hc BOOK

I was winning item for $50 and then when the auction was about to close the seller cancelled the auction and now place the item for sale for $850

What recourse do I have?

I am new to EBay so don't know all the rules. But if this is how sellers behave I am never using EBaay again if they are going to allow scams like this.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Winning bid cancelled at the last moment and item placed on sale at a much higher price.

@raj7197.stsir wrote:

I bidded on the following item: eBay Bid Cancellation Notice - Item 281322594207 : BARACK OBAMA signed lstED KIDS LETTERS to Presdient OBAMA hc BOOK

I was winning item for $50 and then when the auction was about to close the seller cancelled the auction and now place the item for sale for $850

What recourse do I have?

I am new to EBay so don't know all the rules. But if this is how sellers behave I am never using EBaay again if they are going to allow scams like this.

i don't know if the item is worth $850, but if it is worth close to that, then I can understand why the seller cancelled. 

While the seller has 80+ FB, they only have a few as a seller, so it looks like they are new to selling.

Unfortunately ebay makes it sound as if Auctions will make you lots of money, when experience shows that auctions get you the least amount of money the majority of the time. 

Don't be too hard on the seller, and just let it go. If ebay was up front about auctions, then sure, be hard on the seller, but they aren't. 

You don't have any recourse to get the item. The auction was done within the rules of ebay. Ebay specifically allows auctions to be cancelled. 

You can report the seller if you like, and maybe they will get banned.

This does not appear to be a scam. It does appear to be an older person (collector of 54 years) who is trying to sell their items on ebay and don't understand how poorly their item will sell under auction.

Give the person a break. I am guess this is a senior in the 60-80 year range. 

Keep looking for deals on ebay. They are there and don't get too upset when a seller refuses to take a bath to sell you an item. They have their own consequences when they do that. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

So what is the point of using Ebay if you can get scammed like this?
I was recently shut out of rebidding on items because I was leading in two bids already. Why does it matter how many bids I was wining?
It seems that EBAy has created a marketplace that they can manipulate.
So what's to stop me from bidding really high on items and then changing my mind like the seller can? Is that allowed or does Ebay just cheat for the seller?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@froogal_electronic_parts_and_overstock wrote:

You can report the seller if you like, and maybe they will get banned.

The seller won't get banned.

Some time ago, a friend of mine bid on and won a rare collectible from a seller with only one feedback. He got it at what looked to be a fair price. But after the auction was over, he received an email from the seller to the effect that the item was "no longer available." A couple of weeks later, the item was back, offered by the same seller, at a BIN price so inflated that no one will ever pay it. My friend reported the seller to eBay, which replied that they weren't going to do anything about it.

Ebay doesn't care. They used to, but they don't anymore. There are lots of great items to buy here! Try not to dwell on this disappointment and move on to the next fun item.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

In that case we have to blog, and spread the word that EBay is corrupt and is not a safe place to shop. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@raj7197.stsir wrote:

In that case we have to blog, and spread the word that EBay is corrupt and is not a safe place to shop. 

hyperbole.

It looks to be an inexperienced seller. It's not a scam. Give a fellow human being a break and maybe you will get one when you make a mistake.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

what is the point of using Ebay if you can get scammed like this?

What scam? The owner of the item did not like the bids he was getting so he ended the sale. You did not get the item at the (apaprently very low) price you were offering.

You are out a little time.

If the book is 'worth' $850 and you offered $50- who was scamming whom?

I was recently shut out of rebidding on items because I was leading in two bids already. Why does it matter how many bids I was wining?

This is an option offered to sellers who have been victimized by thrill bidders and deadbeats who tie up their products and never pay. It is a protection against potential percieved fraud.

So what's to stop me from bidding really high on items and then changing my mind like the seller can? Is that allowed or does Ebay just cheat for the seller?

Two possibilities here. A bidder can retract his bids, for a very limited number of reasons, or he can ask the seller to cancel his bids. There is no penalty for this although the number of Retractions will show on the bidder's FB page.

Winning bidders who do not pay get Unpaid Item Strikes. Two of these and the deadbeat finds he cannot bid on many.perhaps most, listings because sellers can Block bidders with Strikes.

"Enough' and eBay will rescind the membership. EBay does not say how many is 'enough".

Message 7 of 7
latest reply