Yet Another Liberal Scandal

Ian Troop fired as head of Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games organizing committee

TORONTO - The head of the 2015 Pan American Games has been fired a year and a half before thousands of athletes converge in Toronto for one of the largest sporting events in the world — a sign, sources said, that changes are needed to make sure the Games are an operational and financial success.

TO2015, the organizing committee of the Toronto 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Games, announced Friday that CEO Ian Troop was leaving the organization and will be replaced by Saad Rafi, a former Ontario deputy minister of health.

Sources within TO2015 said Troop's departure was not unexpected. There have been ongoing tensions between the Games organization and the province, which is responsible for the operational costs of the multi-sport competition that will bring about 10,000 athletes from the Americas to compete in 36 Pan Am and 15 Parapan sports.

"With just under two years left until the Games, TO2015 is transitioning into the operational phase of Games planning that will greatly benefit from Saad's experience and expertise," TO2015 board chairman and former Ontario premier David Peterson said in an internal email to staff.

The board gave no reason for Troop's departure, but sources said there have been key operational issues that aren't being decided, creating a real schism between the organizers and the Ontario government. Organizers are frustrated about a lack of decision making by the province, while the province had concerns about Troop's leadership.

The Ontario government came under criticism from the opposition parties this fall when it was disclosed there was a $7-million bonus package for TO2015 executives, including Troop, who was eligible for a $780,000 premium if the Games came in on budget.

The opposition parties were also up in arms after the province announced the total budget for the Toronto 2015 Games, including transportation and security, would be at least $2.5 billion far above the $1.4 billion the province originally stated.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

valve37
Community Member

Not to worry NU, the Liberals and Wynne will be gone in the spring leaving the NDP to clean up the mess.Smiley Wink 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

If only the money pit of  the panam games would go with them.

Ontario will have a legacy of debt like Montreal after the Olympic fiasco there.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

OVERHEARD IN
CHURCH....

In church I heard a sweet elderly lady in the pew next to me
saying a
prayer. It was so innocent and sincere that I just have to share it
with
you:

"Dear Lord, This sure has been a tough four to five years.
You have taken my
favorite actor Patrick Swayze, my favorite musician Michael
Jackson, my
favorite Blues Singer Amy Winehouse, my favorite actress
Elizabeth Taylor,
my favorite singer Whitney Houston.....and now my favorite
author Tom
Clancy!

I just wanted you to know that my favorite
politicians are Justin Trudeau,
Dalton McGuinty, Mike Duffy, Pamela Wallin,
Rob Ford and Dwight Duncan

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

These games like many other games and especially the Olympics are a waste of good money. Do any of us realllllllly remember who won what at the last Olympics in BC? Not at all. I admire the athletes but all the money spent for the glitz and glamour and building and security and countless other things could have been far better spent in more needed areas. In the end what is the REAL benefit of these games? Have they bought in more business or tourism? Those who promote games like this say yes, but I've never seen actually facts and proof. Would the business and tourism have come anyway and with far less cost? These games started out for the athletes but now it's become nothing more than big business and politicians looking to put a feather in their caps along with photo-ops. The 2015 games are going to cost 2.5 BILLION. Can we think of many other areas this money would be better going to?

Photobucket
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

You mean to say you forget what Sid the kid did at the Vancouver games?

A Prayer:
Bless my friends, relatives and those that I care deeply for. Show them a new revelation of love and power. Where there is pain, give them peace and mercy. Where there is self-doubt, release a renewed confidence. Where there is need, I ask their needs to be fulfilled. Bless their homes, families, finances, their goings and their comings. Amen
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I remember what sid the kid did .. He played like **bleep** but scored the last goal so got all the glory and irritated me to know end because many of his fellow players out played him and never got any shout outs..

I also look at things different when it comes to 1 goal wins .. IF the game is 1-0 the person who scored that goal got the winning goal ...

If they won 2-1 the first goal was just s important because without the first goal the last goal would not have been considered the winning goal...

I think they need to spend 2.5 billion on a whole lot of other things but then again the world spends alot of money entertaining people ..

Life was alot simpiliar when people were not  so lazy.whiny and needy

FYI I Can not remember the name of 1 single medal winning olympian from last year other then sid the to much hype kid

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

And the leader is!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/statshome.htm?navid=nav-sts-league#

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I've never liked "team" sports, although I played football, hockey and soccer in school. A whole team can work their butts off and at the final game one member because of one mistake, ruins it all. On the opposite end a team can be pathetic and because of some lucky fluke, they win. Both don't really show who is the 'best'. I've always preferred one on one sports where the only person you can praise or blame, is yourself.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

It takes a seven game final to establish the true winner. Then there is the joy of winning and the agony of defeat.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Have they bought in more business or tourism?

I was talking to the guy whose son owns Vera's Burgers in Vancouver. They did very very well indeed from the Games. No information on hotel visits (compared to normal) or non-Game tourism.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Wynne Government means more taxes!

QUEEN’S PARK – We can put Ontario on the right track, but we;ve got to stop weighing people down with non-stop taxes, fees and costs, PC Leader Tim Hudak and Finance Critic Peter Shurman said today.

Their comments come with Tuesday’s disclosure by the PC Caucus of more McGuinty-Wynne government documents detailing almost 50 new or higher taxes, fees, permits and costs for businesses and consumers, including:

• an $85 fee for seniors renewing commercial drivers’ licenses
  • a $108 validation fee on passenger vehicles, and
  • a $500 fee for the Provincial Nominee Program that helps skilled immigrants get job

“The McGuinty-Wynne government have driven up spending and doubled our debt, and now they’re coming back to taxpayers to cover for it,” Hudak said.  ”Ontarians already give them $117 billion a year in taxes.

“And now the McGuinty-Wynne government is looking for another $270 million in new or increased charges on everyone from truckers and seniors to new Canadians.  It goes far beyond the scale of photo radar.

“This is not a ‘new government’.  It’s the same failed McGuinty approach that dug us into this hole in the firsts place,” Hudak added.

Shurman said these new taxes on businesses, homeowners, driver and many others will compound Ontario’s jobs crisis, by increasing cost across the board, further dampening job growth.

“And it will worsen our debt crisis by putting off serious decisions to reduce the size and cost of government.  It’s past time for the government to live within their means.”

http://timhudakmpp.com/news/time-for-government-to-live-within-it-means/

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

It's obvious that the Liberals have no plan to create jobs in Ontario. Last month, 39,000 more Ontarians lost their job. When you add up the numbers, there are close to a million people in our province out of work.

It's terrible when a relative, friend, or neighbour loses a job. But it's even worse when you take a step back and ask yourself, "Am I next?"

Ontario needs a bold plan for creating jobs and growing our economy. That's why today, Tim Hudak unveiled his new plan for putting more money back in your pocket and creating one million new jobs over the next 8 years.

Our plan is to:
Increase your take home pay through lower taxes and less government debt
End skyrocketing energy costs so that businesses can afford to hire in Ontario
Train more skilled workers to meet demand and get young people better jobs
Expand our markets by increasing trade with our neighbours
Cut the red tape that costs small businesses money and causes them to hire less

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

There is no doubt the Liberals have been bad for this Province. Electing Hudak will be like throwing us from the stove into the fire. The NDP.....somewhere in the middle. Whatever way it turns out there will not be a majority government in Ontario. Deal with it.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

valve37
Community Member

The Ontario Public Service has launched an Administrative Intership Pilot Program across three ministries this month for black female employees seeking promotion opportunities.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/01/17/21406736.html

Racism in the Wynne Government? You decide.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Yes it is racism and that's specifically why she created posts for Black only women, in order to fight the racism.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Now that's a new twist, what ever happened to luring the best person for the job beit any colour or race? The rest of the non black ethnic voters (including natives) may see it as distinctly racism.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I understand the logic in recruiting black women to fill leadership roles, but to give them preferential treatment for employment opportunities is racist because you are effectively telling them that "they have to be given special treatment when hiring them because they really aren't qualified to do these jobs and their only qualification is their gender and colour of their skin".

It is an insult to them and any qualified applicant who doesn't meet the government criteria.

I would prefer that the punishment for excluding someone due to their ethnic background, colour of skin, religious beliefs or anything other than qualifications to be severe enough to stop this type of behaviour.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Well said Lurk!

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

The poor guy only got little over half a million for not doing his job.

Former Pan Am Games CEO Ian Troop, who was fired last month, will receive $534,800 in severance.

The package was agreed upon Friday by the TO2015 board of directors and Troop.

Troop, who was paid $390,000 a year to helm the 2015 sports extravaganza, was unexpectedly sacked Dec. 13 over what sources told the Star were “leadership issues.”

Message 20 of 21
latest reply