blocking buyers without paypal account

What are your thoughts on the option ebay has of blocking buyers that don't have a paypal account? Is that a useful or silly thing to do?  ebay implies you get fewer Not Paid cases, I wonder if that's true.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If you sell high risk goods it's worth considering since some lazy scammers may not have PayPal accounts.

The downside is that new eBay users may not have a PayPal account set up, some will once they have made a purchase, some will be in the process of setting up a PayPal account and some don't want a PayPal account but will pay via PayPal as a guest.

Also consider that some buyers with multiple eBay accounts may not have all of them linked to a PayPal account, they have a PayPal account but eBay doesn't know that.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

Also I have a couple of repeat buyers that pay me with bank email transfer. They do not have paypal accounts but are great customers 🙂

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

nan55- How much does that cost you and them? Does it only work in Canada? The USA? I know Europeans use wire transfers a lot, but they are very expensive to accept ($25 or more) here in Canada.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Cost to me to accept is 0. Not sure what it cost them. I have only had Canadian Customers use the  INTERAC e-Transfer .

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

Copied from CIBC.......

• Now, with the INTERAC e-Transfer service, you can use CIBC Online Banking to send and receive money electronically.
  • An INTERAC e-Transfer allows you to send money to anyone with an email address and a bank account in Canada through CIBC Online Banking

Fees

CIBC charges the following fees to CIBC Senders and CIBC Recipients:

• To CIBC Sender to initiate a Transfer (usual withdrawal fees if any associated with CIBC Sender's account are additional) ...$1.50
  • To CIBC Sender to stop payment on a Transfer...$3.50
  • To CIBC Recipient to receive a Transfer using CIBC Online Banking (usual deposit fees if any associated with CIBC Recipient's account are additional)... NO FEE
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It costs $25 (actually $30) if you are sending a wire transfer. E-mail transfers are $1.50 at CIBC, $1.00 at RBC, etc.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply