can a buyer opt out of global shipping program and choose conventionalUSPS shipping?

The Global shipping program appears to be nothing more than a money grab. Can a buyer choose conventional USPS  Int. shipping, and avoid the gouge, or must  I pay the extra or pass on the purchase. Seller said I had the option ,but couldn't see it at time of purchase.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

can a buyer opt out of global shipping program and choose conventionalUSPS shipping?

I've asked sellers if they can sell to me and bypass the Global shipping program.
The answer has been 'No'.

I've had sellers say that the Global shipping program saves them time.
I don't get it. I ship from Canada to the US all the time. All I have to do is fill in a label that states the seller and buyer's names, the value of the item, sign and date it. No big deal.

I wish that if Ebay is going to stick with this nonsense, there was at least a way for Canadian buyers to search on items that are NOT part of the Global Shipping Program. It's utter nonsense to pay $30 shipping and various fees, when the item can be shipped for less than $10.

I regularly order from Germany to Canada, which is less postage cost than from the US to Canada. Go figure.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Certainly.

All you have to do is not bid on items that have this in the listing.

Customs services and international tracking provided

These words tell you that the seller is enrolled in the GSP.

Unfortunately, in eBay' usual kackhanded way, the words do not appear if you are shopping on a mobile, nor do they show if you Search using Gallery View.

Global Shipping is only available to US and UK sellers , so if you avoid those, by shopping Canadian (or French or Australian or Chinese or Rumanian) you will only be subject to Canada's duty and sales taxes plus Canada Post's $10 service charge on your doorstep before the purchase will be turned over to you. And then only on items valued over $20.

If you think $20 is too low, and compares poorly with the $200 in imports that cross-border shoppers are allowed, the person to address is

The Right Honourable Stephen Harper, PC, MP

House of Commons

OTTAWA ON K1A 0A6

Bonus! You don't even have to stamp the envelope. Just put OHMS where the stamp usually goes.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply