can a seller charge me more for shipping after I've already bought an item?

I purchased an item, then the seller messaged to say it would cost more than the listing had posted, and wants us to pay more or he'll re-list. Is this allowed???

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

j44b
Community Member

No, I don't believe so. If this was my tranaction I would pay for item with the original shipping charge as E-Bay sent you. If you have not received your purchase on day 42 file a not item received claim. Feedback is a powerful indication for future buyers from said vendor, no one likes negative feedback if it comes to that. Check back as members with more savvy will chime in on this subject for you and you can take what course of action you decide.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

No. He is not allowed to do that.

Mind you, running red lights is illegal but people do it all the time.

Politely tell the seller, that you bid and were the highest bidder based on the advertised price and advertised shipping cost. Ask him if he would prefer to be paid on that basis or to request a Mutual Cancellation.

If he wants to be paid, pay him the advertised amount. When the item arrives and has been examined, leave appropriate feedback. Don't hold his initial reluctance against him. We all have disappointments.

If he asks for the MC, agree promptly. Both of you will be released from the transaction and (here is the sneaky part) both of you can leave feedback.

Sellers can only leave positive or no feedback.

Buyers can leave positive, neutral or negative feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. "Demanded more money for shipping. Mutual Cancellation." for example.

At the same time, you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. The normal rating is Five Stars. The lowest Rating is ONE STAR. (No stars is a free pass.)

If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3 he will find his ability to list and sell on eBay severely restricted.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply