can you bid less than the seller is asking?

spr177
Community Member

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi - It depends on the listing.

If I ask $100 for gold ring and have listed it as a Buy It Now or Best Offer, then you can submit an offer on the ring.  eBay will then notify me that I have received an offer on the ring.  Then I, the seller, look at the offer and accept your offer, submit a counter offer, or decline your offer.

Occasionally, I will receive an email about an item that has closed asking if I would accept an offer.  On occasion, I have agreed to the price, re-listed the item to accept the offer and sold the item that way.

And unfortunately, there are individuals who will follow an item, wait for it to close and then ask for a "discount" because the item is no longer listed.  I don't sell eBay items outside eBay - I value the protection eBay provides.

One more thing:  most sellers are very willing to talk about their items.  It never hurts to contact them.- it's part of the fun of eBay!

elly2mbk

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

A bid and a best offer are two different things so no, you cannot bid less than what the seller is asking. The system will not allow bids less than the starting bid.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

NO.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi - It depends on the listing.

If I ask $100 for gold ring and have listed it as a Buy It Now or Best Offer, then you can submit an offer on the ring.  eBay will then notify me that I have received an offer on the ring.  Then I, the seller, look at the offer and accept your offer, submit a counter offer, or decline your offer.

Occasionally, I will receive an email about an item that has closed asking if I would accept an offer.  On occasion, I have agreed to the price, re-listed the item to accept the offer and sold the item that way.

And unfortunately, there are individuals who will follow an item, wait for it to close and then ask for a "discount" because the item is no longer listed.  I don't sell eBay items outside eBay - I value the protection eBay provides.

One more thing:  most sellers are very willing to talk about their items.  It never hurts to contact them.- it's part of the fun of eBay!

elly2mbk

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If the seller has indicated that he will consider "Best Offers" go ahead. He is telling you that he thinks that he has overpriced the item, but is not sure how much.

If the seller has not, he has a firm idea of what he wants for the item. Not only is making an offer to him likely to put you on his Blocked Bidder List, but it may be reported as a Violation. Many sellers have an automatic Block set up against bidders with Violations.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

A bid and a best offer are two different things so no, you cannot bid less than what the seller is asking. The system will not allow bids less than the starting bid.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply