can you still get a refund on ebays fees it the buyer puts a claim with paypal and not ebay.

pepee1
Community Member

This buyer got a model from me and filed with paypal and not ebay.  He got a model that had some damage on the box it was an out of print model but still new in the box.  Then a week and half after he got the package he filed a claim with paypal and want a refund.  Now my money has been on hold for almost 3 weeks now till paypal gets off there ass and looks at it.  So how do i get my fees back if they make me refund. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

can you still get a refund on ebays fees it the buyer puts a claim with paypal and not ebay.

Where he filed is not relevant. The two companies work together and it was sent along to the correct place. Confusing the issue is that US members do file with eBay but international members file with PP.

So.

He received the parcel and complained to you that it was damaged?

Did you use tracking on the package?

Then, I guess you refused the refund on the basis that it was what it was advertised as?

But he wasn't complaining about what he recieved, it sounds as if he was complaining about the damage-- in other words your packaging skills.

By leaving the dispute in PP's hands you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Tell the buyer and PP that you will refund in full when you recieve the item back, in the same condition it was sent. We are going to presume that he was so ticked off with the 'damage' that he did not remove the cellophane, right? Because it was the box he was upset about not the contents.

This means that unless he returns the item, and can prove it with Confirmation of Delivery, he loses the Dispute.

He may still leave negative feedback and trash your Detailed Seller Ratings, but you may be able to appeal that.

Now.

Because of the new Defect policy and feedback and DSRs, and because you are an honest seller, when you get a complaint like this there is no point is pouting and trying to put the buyer in the wrong.

The buyer is unhappy.

Just tell him to return the parcel, as received, for a full refund.

The Standard Practice, based on PP's policies, is that the buyer pays return postage. If the problem turns out to be the seller's fault, say, the order was for a red sweater and you sent a blue one, then the Best Practice is to also refund the return postage.

For the record, and for newbies who may be reading this, Canada Post expects its customers to package items to withstand a two foot drop from one conveyor belt to another, followed by a 50 lb package landing on top of yours. This would not be unusual in the giant postal terminals. Fragile labels cannot be read by conveyor belts which are notoriously illiterate.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

If you refund, you get your fees back almost immediately. Basically the transaction did not happen.

If PP refunds, they will come after you for the money but will not charge their fee when they do.

You will have a black mark on your selling record however because you had to be forced into the refund.

No refund without return however.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

It was listed that the box did have damage to but the model was new but was out of print now. And he has a US mailing address but he was from China which i did not see till after cause i don't sell to China. And it took him a week an half after he received the model to file a claim. No email to me first just filed a claim now i cant touch the money now and by the looks of it paypal is not very fast at looking at things they say it will be done by oct 25 claim was filied on sept 21 just a pain in the butt. He should learn to read and he would of noticed the box has damage on it. Wait and see what happens as long as i get my fees back and the model. Thanks for the help
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If the buyer got the item (and you have delivery confirmation proving it), why would you refund the buyer?

By the way, refunding will get you the paypal fees back but it won't get you the ebay final value fees back. To do that, you would need to send the buyer a transaction cancellation (after you have the item back and they have a refund) and they must select that they accept the cancellation. Then and only then will you get your final value fee credit.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply