debit ebay

OK I got my brains racked here..I was told that I could pay my purchased items with my debit instead of going thru pay pal which takes 6 to 8 business days to clear.. Can someone please help ..thanks
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

debit ebay

A debit card or bank card is basically the same as a cheque - it is a demand on your bank to pay a specific amount to a specific person. 

For instant payment, you need to have a valid credit card on file with PayPal. You may charge the purchase on your credit card or your bank account (default).   If the amount of the transaction is charged to your bank account (echeck) the seller will receive instant payment (no delay of 6 to 8 business days in Canada) since payment is backed by the credit card. 

Without a valid credit card on file, the echeck will take over a week to clear in Canada (only a few days in the USA).

Another option of course is to use PayPal as a bank account and maintain a cash balance in your account to pay for your purchases.  As long as money is in your PayPal account, payments are instant.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

debit ebay

As I understand it, US credit and debit cards are pretty much the same thing. So after a buyer has emptied his bank balance spending on his "debit" card, the card will switch over to being a "credit" card and allow him to keep spending until his credit limit is reached.

Many eBay merchants, usually those with brick and mortar businesses, have their own merchant accounts with credit card companies and can accept payments directly. Since these are electronically trackable, there should be no problem with spurious unpaid item disputes as there would be with cheque payments. However, if you were paying with a debit card, it would be difficult to get a refund because of the way they work, being essentially "e-cheques".

The claim that PP takes days to clear, is wrong and makes me suspicious. If you back your PP account only with your bank account, yes, that's true, you are in effect sending a cheque and it takes some time to clear the US and Canadian banking systems.  However, it you attach a CREDIT card to your PP account, the seller is paid immediately.

Also you have an extra layer of protection in your credit card's Chargeback program.

Best to ask your seller what he means. This may be just a question of "two nations separated by a single language".

Message 3 of 3
latest reply