eBay.CA POP UP BOX REDIRECT TO eBay.COM !!! P'od in the US of A!

lina-mallows
Community Member
Anyone ever try to log into their CANADIAN eBay.CA account while in the UNITED STATES recently?
Well- having done so at the hotel's business centre (May 7th. 8th.), I was CONFRONTED!!! with a POP UP BOX asking me if I have considered looking in MY HOME COUNTRY ON eBay.com !!!!

SO eBAY- what's going on here?

It's hard enough to get traffic to CANADA- and now YOU (at eBay) are directly, and blatantly encouraging these individuals, FROM the US who try to log into eBay.CA, to SHOP AT HOME on ebay.COM!

eBay- WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?
You can't have it both ways. eBay.CA permits listing in US$'s. The eBay.COM site DOES NOT permit listing in CAN$'s.
eBay can CLAIM??? all it wants that CANADIANS SHOULD list on eBay.CA- and they will get equal exposure on the eBay.COM site.

HOWEVER- NOW when someone tries to go to eBay.CA from the US- they are now discouraged.

So- WHY SHOULD ANYONE THINK OF LISTING ON eBAY.CA ?????

WHAT A CROCK!!!!! Anyone agree with me on this?
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

It's the same when you try to log into .com from Canada (asking if you would not rather go to .ca). eBay's servers recognize the originating IP address and encourage visitors to log into their own country's site - make sense to me.

I guess you were not yet successful in un-enroling for PS status?]:)

Xena
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
So- WHY SHOULD ANYONE THINK OF LISTING ON eBAY.CA ?????

I think you've answered your own question.

Monique

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
On a side note....just how many people OUTSIDE of Canada do you think actually try to log onto ebay.ca?

Monique

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Hm...., .de, .au and .uk aside, I always list on .ca and never have on .com, and am very happy with the results.

Time to look at .com? Am I missing the big picture here?

Xena
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Xena,

The party (ebay) line has always been that it doesn't matter if you list on .ca or .com. Provided that you ship to both locations you will get equal treatment in search.

I switched to listing on .com years ago. Primarily because 95% of my customers are from the U.S. so it makes no sense to list my items on .ca and have U.S. shipping so blatantly listed as "International". There were other reasons in the past...but while most of those discrepancies between the two systems have been resolved, the shipping has never been co-ordinated to my liking.

Monique

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
xenalook- It appears NO ONE at eBay is listening.

WE DO NOT WANT TO BE POWER SELLERS!
Can you get your heads out of whatever part of the nether regions they may be- and listen.
We DO NOT AGREE with the TERMS AND CONDITIONS (as recently amended)- and therefore, accordingly- CANNOT BE CONSIDERED POWER SELERS.

Why can't anyone at eBay understand this?
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Just to be CLEAR- The "TERMS AND CONDITIONS" of the POWER SELLER AGREEMENT.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
xenalook- eBay's servers recognize the originating IP address and encourage visitors to log into their own country's site - make sense to me.

We use eBay.DE, ebay.CO.UK, ebay.COM.AU, ebay.BE, and eBay.FR-
ALL on a VERY regular basis. ALL of these sites are accessed from the SAME computer- with the SAME ISP. AND, I have NEVER received any message asking me to go to 'my home countries' site'.
That is what is so vexing about this issue.

Having the luxury of FULLY REGISTERED US eBay accounts- if it weren't for the 'name recognition', I think it's time to abandon Canada.
Our next round of listings should remove any Canadian listings, as they migrate strictly to the US site.

As we now spend half our time in the US- eBay.CA, or eBay.COM selling will eventually stop.

Retirement in Europe will pose a whole new set of issues.
For those that have concerns about GST- I can't imagine the issues I will have with the UK VAT.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

ALL on a VERY regular basis. ALL of these sites are accessed from the SAME computer- with the SAME ISP. AND, I have NEVER received any message asking me to go to 'my home countries' site'.
That is what is so vexing about this issue.

You only get the message if you are not logged in. The pop-up you refer to has been on all eBay sites for over a year. There is a checkbox which if selected means you will not see the pop-up again.

By the way, GST & VAT operate in virtually the same identical manner. Anyone with a basic grasp of one will have no additional trouble with the other. The only difference of substance is that the EU standard is for "tax included" pricing for most goods.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
WE DO NOT WANT TO BE POWER SELLERS!

We've heard you loud and clear...so why are you continuing to post on a board that IS exclusively for PowerSellers?

Monique

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Well- for all those people who practically make this a HOME- why not?
There are so few people on this board- and you likely all know who you are- with all the respect due- do you not have a life?
I am amazed that people waste their time here- some posting 100's, if not thousands of inane responses to most questions.

I don't, in general tell you what to say- and as long as I can I will continue to post as I please.

I could care less whose sandbox this is. MAYBE SOMEONE AT eBAY ACTUALLY READS THIS STUFF.

AND MAYBE SOMEONE AT eBAY WILL LISTEN.

UNTIL then- I will continue to post- and when, and if I commit a violation I EXPECT TO BE CITED !!!!!

As long as eBay THINKS/BELEIEVES that we are POWER SELLERS- we are free to do as we please.
As TRUDEAU once so eloquently said, when asked how far they would go- JUST WATCH ME!
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Well said lina-mallows, others on here think that have an exclusive right to post when and whatever they want and critize others that do the same.

You know who they are

TIM @ FTL
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
futuretech_liquidations- THANK YOU !!!

I think we ALL know who "they" are.
AS long as eBay considers me/us as a POWER SELLER- I will be bumping quite a few threads to the top of the list.

AS LONG AS eBAY KEEPS THESE POSTS AROUND- They msuts have some value.

Many other fine sellers out there had some pretty decent understandings of what was really wrong with eBay, PayPal, Canada Post, etc.

Some things have changed- sadly many of the wrong things have remained the same.
Maybe it's about time to shake things up a little.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply