eBay Redesigns Stores, Launches Social Features, Provides Seller Tips

By Ina Steiner
EcommerceBytes.com
October 23, 2013

eBay officially announced social networking features that EcommerceBytes had revealed 3 weeks ago in this exclusive Newsflash story. As we reported, Michael Phillips Moskowitz, eBay's new Chief Curator and Editorial Director, is overseeing the features designed to engage shoppers and help them discover products about which they are passionate. The new features allow shoppers to "follow" collections, curators, eBay members and interests.

For more: http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y13/m10/i23/s02

Also eBay.com Announcement page: http://announcements.ebay.com/2013/10/follow-it-find-it-make-it-yours/

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Oh gawd, more massive changes.  Could they not just leave things to settle for a while? 

And curators???  They must be kidding!  Trying to pretend eBay is an intellectual experience that requires "experts" to put collections together?  Please - give us some credit for intelligence.  At least they could have called them personal collectors or something less pretentious and irrational.  

My guess: somebody is getting paid a whole heap of dough for putting together all this flashy nonsense as "curatorial" collections. 

Does anyone know if this is coming soon to an eBay near us (i.e. Canada)?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Come on Rose-Dee, be positive 🙂

I actually thing it is a good change. I read the article and it does seem to make sense, especially personalized profiles.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

"Curate" is a new buzzword in the retail biz.

It means..... nothing in particular.... but don't it sound fancy?

If you've ever had the pleasure/annoyance of working with a personal shopper (The Room at The Bay used to have them, one reason I don't shop there any more) you may love/detest "curators".

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yes, you're right, 'femme-fan', my problem is with the retail world co-opting a respected term with a specific meaning from the world of art and archaeology.

I worked with museums for a number of years, and the curators I knew were people who had spent a lifetime studying and writing in their field and were able to determine what pieces in a collection had artistic, educational or historical value that was worth putting on public view, and that followed a narrative, or had meaning as a whole.  This eBay "curator" nonsense is just borrowed respectability, hoping the patina of intelligence and experience associated with the term will rub off.  Horsefeathers!  

These are just people pulling together commercial "stuff" they happen to like personally - there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but honestly, must eBay now try to pretend its site is above the hoi polloi?  Next they'll be putting PhDs after these people's names, degrees earned no doubt at the Université d'eBay.

I suppose it's inevitable that eBay will become just another social media site once it's fully integrated with the others (Facebook, Pinterest et al).  I wonder if anyone has seriously considered what sort of privacy and security issues that might create for eBay sellers?  

Oh yes - personal shoppers.  I turned and ran from one once at The Bay, and never did go back to that floor again.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply