eBay should display Cancelled Auction / Item Stats on Sellers

eBay properly maintains transparency by displaying Buyers who withdraw bids. But it is keeping secret Sellers who withdraw items in the middle of an auction.

The explanation provided is that the item runs out of stock.  This is not a valid explanation when placing an item for auction and would not be an acceptable excuse in any other auction environment. In some jurisdictions it is considered fraud in others it will just lose your auction license.  You are not permitted in the "real world" to put up for auction products that you do not know you have. Thus eBay is in a literal sense operating an extra-legal auction business.

If a seller has a Buy Now button, they should realize that they have to keep at least one time for each auction they have contractually entered into, just like the bidders have contractually entered into a purchase commitment. If they are incapable of keeping one item aside for each auction commitment, that is important information for potential bidders, and ethically they should not be listing the item at all since they don't know it will actually be available.

Regardless, it is proper and useful information to know if a seller has a track record of "running out of stock" or "product not as described" auction cancellations and there is no good reason to withhold this information from bidders.

Bidders should have the right to make informed decisions before making their own commitment to an auction and track record on cancellations / withdrawals is part of the informed decision.

Because I do not have such information, even though the seller who yanked the Elephone at the last minute has a stellar reputation I will never do business with them ever again. 

If I knew that it has only happened a few times in several thousand auctions, then I would take that at face value and still consider their products. But no information = no customer and I encourage all bidders to react the same.

eBay buyers should insist that this obvious imbalance in the market be corrected.

This is not merely a question of operating a fair market environment. It is a case of consuming peoples time, sometimes inordinate amounts of time, in an exercise rendered futile by eBay's permissive rules on auction cancellations.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

As a seller, I've never had to cancel an auction nor sold an item not in stock.

I would like to see a buyer's total number of Cancel Transaction Requests as well as number of Unpaid Items reflected alongside their bid retractions.

Also, I don't think any listing should be marked 'private' and I think it should be within my right as a seller to be allowed to pre-block any member whose feedback is 'private'. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

The explanation provided is that the item runs out of stock.  ..

If a seller has a Buy Now button, they should realize that they have to keep at least one time for each auction they have contractually entered into,...

If they are incapable of keeping one item aside for each auction commitment, that is important information for potential bidders, and ethically they should not be listing the item at all since they don't know it will actually be available.

What is actually happening in most of these situations is that the seller actually has NO stock and never did.

He is doing what is called 'dropshipping'

The seller has a deal with a supplier, often overseas, but there are many US-based suppliers.

When the seller gets an order, he passes it to the supplier who ships.

The seller is supposed to list the location of the product/supplier not his own. Since many of these sellers are either naive or lazy (Nothing down! Just give us the names of your buyers!) most don't give the correct location, not realizing that the buyer may be faced with import fees on her doorstep.

If the supplier runs out of product, he often does not inform the (naive, lazy) seller.

The supplier has hundreds of sellers working for him. When you see several identical items offered by many different sellers, those sellers are dropshipping.

Who is responsible?

Both in my opinion.

just like the bidders have contractually entered into a purchase commitment.

Well, not exactly.

The bidder does not have a contract until he becomes a buyer.

If the listing is cancelled before it would end, there is no buyer.

Even if there is an active transaction,  either buyer or seller can cancel the transaction on very short notice (This is new and I'm not clear on all the details, but I think it is within one hour of the end of the auction.)

These unilateral cancellations always leave one unhappy member. Buyers can leave appropriate feedback.

Or if the buyer and seller agree that the transaction should not happen (amicably) the seller can Request a Mutual Cancellation. These take a little longer, but are necessary (Maybe the dog really did eat the tablecloth, or the First Edition Gone With The Wind turns out to have been printed in 2005)

If the buyer refuses to pay, the seller can initiate an Unpaid Item Dispute. These are not friendly.

But it is keeping secret Sellers who withdraw items in the middle of an auction.

These sellers don't walk away scot-free.

Although they don't have notice on their accounts of such actions, the seller whose listing had bidders is still charged the selling fee on the withdrawn item, based on the highest bid at the time it was ended.

Again.

The seller may not know he cannot supply the item.

The seller who learns he cannot supply the item has a financial penalty for ending an auction with bids.

The bidder who sees several sellers with identical listings should be aware that they are probably being dropshipped.

• Look for a Fixed Price listing instead of an auction
  • Realize that if one seller doesn't have it, none of the seller will have it, because the supplier doesn't have it.
  • Be aware that the item you are bidding on is likely to be coming from China not North America, will be slow (30 days or more) to arrive, and may incur import fees on your doorstep.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

just like the bidders have contractually entered into a purchase commitment.

Well, not exactly.

The bidder does not have a contract until he becomes a buyer.

If the listing is cancelled before it would end, there is no buyer.

Even if there is an active transaction,  either buyer or seller can cancel the transaction on very short notice (This is new and I'm not clear on all the details, but I think it is within one hour of the end of the auction.)

These unilateral cancellations always leave one unhappy member. Buyers can leave appropriate feedback.

I'm not sure if the intent is to obscure things, but that's what this remarks do for me.

I am writing about the right way to conduct bidding, having informed bidders so your reference to becoming Buyers seems out of context.

Secondly, eBay advised that a bidder cannot cancel a bid for any reason other than the two listed which would not apply in this scenario. eBay makes a point of using clear language that the bidder is contractually obligated to buy if they end up with the highest bid.  If this has changed, many would appreciate a link to confirm that change.

But, and of most importance, all of that is secondary.

What matters is providing bidders (and sellers) with useful information with which to make informed decisions.  I have heard no valid reason why eBay cannot include in Seller Stats how many items they have withdrawn from auctions and how many auctions they have cancelled.

This is a very useful indicator of the reliability of the seller beyond the reputation points earned for those transactions they choose to honour.  To be absurd, a seller with a 10,000 reputation but a hidden 100,000 withdrawn auctions is actually not a good seller. 

In effect eBay is engaging in misleading advertising by withholding this negative information at the same time as publishing positive information.

Extra-legal auctions, misleading advertising, at what point will it become important enough for eBay to start to have reputation worries? For now I''ll just go back to avoiding eBay as a source of purchases.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I agree that Buyers actions should be part of their stats just as Seller Stats should be part of theirs. Not sure about the private feedback thing as there is no ability to give feedback on cancelled auctions.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Hello 'walking_dolphins',

You're right, it is frustrating when an auction we are bidding on disappears and we get a message telling us

the reason for it.  I buy porcelains, and the first time I got one of those messages saying the item "was no longer

available", I thought it must have gotten broken.  But after 5 of them (different sellers)  I began to suspect that the

auction was simply not going as high as the seller had expected and rather than risk a low sale he withdrew it.

Silly, really, because auctions invariably shoot waaay up at the end when all the snipers show up and try to

grab it out from under each other.

Here is the link outlining when and how sellers can end a listing early:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/end_early.html

Sometimes a listing is an 'auction' but until the bidding reaches a certain price there is a "Buy" button showing.

If someone else wants it, that person may decide to just buy it to be sure to get it.  That can be irksome but it is

perfectly okay.  

<<eBay makes a point .... that the bidder is contractually obligated to buy if they end up with the highest bid>>

Right.  I think the crux of this point is the bit about 'ending up' as the winner, -- and not simply having placed a

bid.  Of course, you can't win an auction that gets withdrawn, but until an auction has run its course no one can

be said to be obligated to buy it.  

<<I have heard no valid reason why eBay cannot include in Seller Stats how many items they have withdrawn

from auctions and how many auctions they have cancelled.>>

Well, then you probably won't hear mine either.  Smiley Happy  I suspect it has to do with privacy, or things that are not

everyone else's business.  There may be any number of reasons why a seller ends a listing early.  But as you say,

it certainly deters bidders from returning to that seller, so I highly doubt any seller would make  early endings a

personal policy.  

At the same time, some sellers wish cancelled transactions were to be loudly displayed on a buyer's ID page.

There too, there may be many reasons for a cancellation, -- and not because the buyer changed his mind.

By not displaying all these details, ebay is not "hiding" negative information.  It is neither negative nor positive.

If it negative information you want, try toolhaus. Smiley LOL

Truly, 'walking_dolphins', if you are annoyed about a cancellation -- don't let that spoil your fun on ebay.

Just try to avoid those types of situations.  And the best way to do that is find Item Location from the left side of 

the page when you do a Search.  You can try Canada Only first, -- items bought in Canada will always come

quickly and without import/duty charges.  Or even choose North America if you cannot find what you want

from a seller here.  

The thing to avoid is not ebay, but Asian sellers on ebay.  I don't like saying that but there are so many problems

from those countries and unfortunately some of their unfavorable practices lead people to think it is ebay

itself which is disreputable.

Shop wisely, choose your sellers thoughtfully, and you'll get a lot more of your ebay experience.

Happy bidding. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

"dmil8030" wrote:

Sometimes a listing is an 'auction' but until the bidding reaches a certain price there is a "Buy" button showing.

If someone else wants it, that person may decide to just buy it to be sure to get it.  That can be irksome but it is

perfectly okay.

The "Buy it Now" button disappears with the first bid, not when bidding reaches a certain price.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

<<The "Buy it Now" button disappears with the first bid,>>

Hmmm,  I was thinking of something else and getting my auction sites mixed up.   My bad.

Feel better now?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Secondly, eBay advised that a bidder cannot cancel a bid for any reason other than the two listed which would not apply in this scenario.

And that is one of eBay's dumber rules.

Any seller should be delighted that a bidder who is not intending to complete the transaction drops out before the end of the auction.

For any reason.

If eBay wants reasons how about adding:

• I had bids on three of these and already won one.
  • I changed my mind.
  • The meds kicked in.
  • I thought it was an easel, not a book called "Pull Up Your Easels" even though it was listed as a book, had a picture, and gave the author's name in the title. (That was an actual Dispute I went through some years ago.)
  • The babysitter/teenager/ cat used my account to bid
  • I don't have the money to pay
  • I have to leave town in a hurry and won't be around for delivery.

By the way, Bid Retractions are initiated by the buyer. But if he asks the seller to Cancel his bid*, that does not appear on the buyer's feedback page, which it probably should.

*Often for one of the reasons I mention.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

"Feel better now?"

What an odd comment...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

@"dmil8030" wrote:

perfectly okay.

The "Buy it Now" button disappears with the first bid, not when bidding reaches a certain price.

Not in some categories.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/how-buy-bin.html

http://www.pages.ebay.com/help/buy/how-buy-bin.html

For some listings, the Buy It Now option is only available until the first bid is placed. In the following categories, Buy It Now is available until bidding reaches or exceeds 50% of the Buy It Now price:
  • Cell Phones & Accessories

• Clothing, Shoes & Accessories

• Motors Parts & Accessories

• Tickets

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Not in some categories.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/how-buy-bin.html

http://www.pages.ebay.com/help/buy/how-buy-bin.html

For some listings, the Buy It Now option is only available until the first bid is placed. In the following categories, Buy It Now is available until bidding reaches or exceeds 50% of the Buy It Now price:
  • Cell Phones & Accessories

• Clothing, Shoes & Accessories

• Motors Parts & Accessories

• Tickets

True. However, I once bid on an item in the clothing category and even if my bid exceeded 50% of the BIN price, said price did not disappear. Was it because I was the only bidder?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply