ebay's flin/flan shipping charges

ebay charges buyer the full amount posted say 20.00 shipping

but only gives the seller the actual shipping (they estimate) 12.63

and if your canadian they will do the old exchange 2 step and u will lose.

And ebay commission is on US dollar percentage but they bill u in canadian dollars.

Then paypal rips the exchange rate on me of over 5% fron US to Canadian

so 457.50 u.s. dollars selling and shipping is  sent to my  paypal acct.  as  438.77 minus 25.04( i pd for shipping)  =  413.73 us 

now they charge me 36.36  commision in canadian dollars (9%)

So now we have 406.42 can. (paypal exchange) minus 36.36 ebay comm. 

leaves me 370.06

I will give the stuff away before I deal with these 2 again

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You have a choice of listing in Can or US dollars. You have a choice of eBay billing in US or Can dollars.

Since you made choices for working in US dollars, how can you be ripped off?

PayPal exchange rate is comparable to bank exchange rates so the rates are not excessive.

Now that you have sold items and are aware of the conversion and exchange rates, decide which currency you want to work in from now on.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You also had a choice to list on eBay or not. The final value fees rate for auctions for non-stores is 9%. Again, how can you be ripped off if you are aware of commission they charge?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

they took 40.00 shipping and gave me 25.00

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

lencroft - your post is very confusing as you seem to mix the results of several transactions together.

What is the transaction number giving you difficulties? 221168844274 ?

Did you offer a fixed shipping cost in your listing?  How much?

Did you charge the buyer that amount?

Did you purchase your postage through PayPal?  How much?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Sell in C$.  I just came back to ebay after a short break and decided to try selling in C$ to avoid that one conversion fee.  There are some that say that Americans will be discouraged from buying unless they see US$.  I've found that is not true.  When they look at your items on ebay.com, they see the price in US$.   I've made 4 sales in the last 2 weeks (small time seller) and they were all Americans. You can also set your invoicing preference to C$ instead of US$ so that you are comparing apples to apples,  Sales reports are still in US$ though so the confusion is not completely eliminated.  But with just C$ circulating through my paypal, I can withdraw without conversion fees.  Give it a try and good luck.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply