ebay service rep. using the term "one-time Education" for a Platinum Seller

greenwasabe
Community Member
Please read the following transcript and give me your opinion on what she meant by "one-time Education"

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:21:03 AM)
Hello. Thank you for contacting eBay Live Help. My name is Jholly. May I please have your first name?

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:21:19 AM)
Please look at item 190474456854

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:21:28 AM)
first name is Nhut

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:21:48 AM)
Hello, Nhut. How may I help you with this item?

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:23:35 AM)
Are you still with me in this conversation?

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:23:48 AM)
YES, I have an agreement with this buyer (laowe ), that he offered the buying price on two items. He did not pay for both items, I filed Unpaid item dispute, he paid only one item ( this item number), but not the other

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:24:21 AM)
Did you also file an Unpaid Item case on the other item?

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:24:51 AM)
Yes, I did, and I've already get the Final Value Fee credited.

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:25:36 AM)
I see. May I ask for the item numbers?

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:26:20 AM)
190474456854 this is the item that he paid after the Unpaid dispute was filed.

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:26:32 AM)
Thank you for that information. Before we proceed on this, do you have any other issue that you need help with?

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:27:15 AM)
Actually, I want to get the Final Value fee credit for this item, I've refund the payment to him

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:27:34 AM)
Why did you refunded your buyer?

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:28:09 AM)
We had agreed on the price that he would purchase two items, but he only paid for one.

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:29:57 AM)
Let me just pull up your account.

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:32:19 AM)
Alright. Please know that you should have refunded him first before closing the Unpaid Item case.

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:33:03 AM)
No, I opened the Unpaid item case, he paid for it, ebay closed the case, not me.

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:34:12 AM)
I see. May I ask for the other item number?

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:35:03 AM)
Let me pull it up

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:35:30 AM)
Alright.

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:35:44 AM)

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:36:25 AM)
Thank you.

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:39:24 AM)
May I ask what agreement do you have with the buyer?

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:40:56 AM)
we has correspondent that we agree that he would buy both for $7000, and I would agree on the items to be offered at $3000 and $4000 so it's easier for him to pay.

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:41:48 AM)
This item number hasn't been paid, 190476222408.

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:42:35 AM)
Yes, he never paid for this item, I've already file Unpaid item, and get FVF for it

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:43:14 AM)
I was waiting for him to paid the other invoice but he never pay for it, and it's been 13 days.

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:43:43 AM)
actually it's 17 days.

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:43:50 AM)
Okay.

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:48:27 AM)
still on chat?

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:49:34 AM)
Yes, I will credit the $50.00 Final Value Fee credit as a one-time Education on this case.

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:50:22 AM)
What do you mean by "one-time Education"?

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:52:19 AM)
This is just a one-time education because you already have been issued Final Value Fee credits by previous agents.

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:53:24 AM)
am I ready this correctly?

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:54:21 AM)
Could you tell me when did I get FVF credit for this item number 190474456854

greenwasabe (12/24/2010 03:54:47 AM)
are you saying that I need education??

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:56:07 AM)
You have been issued a Final Value Fee credit on other transactions here in eBay not just this item number. I will issue this Final Value Fee credit so that you will not deal with buyers like that as a lesson.

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:56:47 AM)
It’s great to see that you’re one of our Top Rated Sellers on the site. We certainly appreciate you doing business with us.

Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:57:06 AM)
I’m happy I was able to help you today. Thank you for contacting eBay Live Help. We sincerely appreciate your business. Have a wonderful Yuletide season, Nhut!

System message (12/24/2010 03:57:10 AM)
The chat session is being wrapped up.

System message (12/24/2010 03:58:45 AM)
All times in the above transcript are in the following time zone: (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

System message (12/24/2010 03:58:45 AM)
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Probably meant that the rep took pity on you and gave you one last refund hoping that you "learnt" from this.

Seems as if you had previously been granted refunds where a rep was involved.

There is a certain way to initiate and close cases and I had to call and get a refund once as well. I can't remenber why this happend but I must have clicked on the wrong button back then.

Took forever to convince the rep that it was eBay that closed the case and not me and I did have a refund due.

Filing mutuals where the buyer declines to agree is the most common reason for not getting the FVF refund

Bernie
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Your agreement with buyer was not part of eBay contract.

Next time spell the agreement right in the text of your item. Then you can file "Me and buyer disagreed over terms".
Message 3 of 35
latest reply

greenwasabe
Community Member
I paid over $1500 in eBay fees alone last month and got "taught" on how to go about, what shame!. I would never consider calling them unless there is a case that has no solution, I imagine the two-cents this rep would give for a newbie.
Message 4 of 35
latest reply

My recent invoice on this account was $2,021 and I do not think I deserve any special treatment. Happy Holidays
Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Your agreement with buyer was not part of eBay contract.

Next time spell the agreement right in the text of your item. Then you can file "Me and buyer disagreed over terms".

In this case it wouldn't be possible for the OP to file on their own regardless of what was in the agreement because the buyer had paid for that one item. Once it has been paid for the system won't allow a seller to file for an unpaid item even after it has been refunded. It was possible to do this at one time but it has changed in the last year.

I don't think the rep had a clue what the OP was trying to explain and was just reading from a script, it wasn't personal. It is dumb that they would call any sort of credit an eduction, especially considering it is obviously the ebay rep who needs to be "educated".

OP if you can, its better to just laugh at stupid stuff like this. It's not personal and not worth getting upset over.
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

PJ just said it well - you have to laugh at it or leave.

I got a particular chuckle out of this sentence:

You have been issued a Final Value Fee credit on other transactions here in eBay not just this item number. I will issue this Final Value Fee credit so that you will not deal with buyers like that as a lesson.

The CSR doesn't have much of a clue.

Ann
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Once it has been paid for the system won't allow a seller to file for an unpaid item even after it has been refunded.

The above statement is incorrect.

I get to file for an unpaid item that was refunded about once a month. This happens when we refund instead re-ship when something gets lost in the mail.

However, it must be filed under the guise of "mutual". Most buyers respond that they agree and, for the ones that don't, I just close the case after 8 days.

Bernie
Message 8 of 35
latest reply

PJ< what I meant was to refund and then file "Open Unpaid Item Case / Cancel Transaction" with "Buyer and I disagreed over terms".

But now I see that's sub-case of "We have both agreed not to complete the transaction" so perhaps you are right and there is no way to do it without rep.

There is nothing in writing to indicate the agreement. It would be much more clear if item description indicated "This item sells to buyer XY for price Z if purchased together with item I". We routinely list custom auctions for specific buyers that contain previously agreed terms.

There is nothing in OP's items to indicate any terms so technically, it was eBay discretion to process this refund. It's better to call it education than "we bend over to you" refund.

This case also shows one interesting point - Platinum Powersellers have no leeway. That means only diamonds are privileged on eBay.
Message 9 of 35
latest reply

greenwasabe
Community Member
What's more funny is that she didn't even bother to credit anything like she said afterward, after she hung up on me.
Message 10 of 35
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Once it has been paid for the system won't allow a seller to file for an unpaid item even after it has been refunded.

The above statement is incorrect.

I get to file for an unpaid item that was refunded about once a month. This happens when we refund instead re-ship when something gets lost in the mail.

However, it must be filed under the guise of "mutual". Most buyers respond that they agree and, for the ones that don't, I just close the case after 8 days.

Bernie

Berinie you're splitting hairs. PJ's statement is very much so correct. She's talking UPI and you're talking mutual. Two very different things.

Once you've refunded a buyer you cannot file an Unpaid Item dispute. A mutual is not the same thing.

I had a buyer pay me $1 for shipping once and I refunded and tried to file UPI because they weren't responding. The system wouldn't let me and that's how I found out it changed. To go off on a tangent for a bit this is bad because a buyer can pay you what the heck ever amount they want and you can't get your fees back unless you call and waste hours with some brainless rep.

As to the term "one-time education" I'd say not only do they not have a clue but clearly they don't speak English properly. It's not personal. That person just isn't very bright.

May I also point out:

"Jholly P. (12/24/2010 03:27:34 AM)
Why did you refunded your buyer?"

Sure Jholly and what part of India are you in today?
Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Jakeangel,

I agree with you. However, I always strive for the "mutual" as opposed to the "fighting" version.

What I am suggesting is that PJ file for a "mutual". In the end the result is the same, less drama, less conflict and it actually works.

Bernie
Message 12 of 35
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
It doesn't work if the buyer doesn't agree though. I don't like mutual when it's not or if the buyer is being a doofas about it they need the strike on their record. That's how I look at it.

There is a need for mutual certainly but not in this situation.
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

greenwasabe
Community Member
jakeeangel is correct, I sent about six reminders, and many personal emails politely asking for payment but no answers at all for two weeks. I just ran out of patience, there was no "mutual" in this case.
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

I probably don't understand something here.

A mutual does not produce a "strike" for the buyer and it is their way out of a a real Unpaid Item case.

Even if it is not really mutual I pretend it is and just file that way. Some buyers respond and agree, some just ignore it and I can close the case after 8 days.

Very rarely does a buyer not agree and, so far, it has always been for duplicate purchases that a buyer neither needed nor paid for but mistook the cancellation as being for the item he/she paid for. Again, a rare scenario.

Most buyers that don't/can't pay are more than happy to get out of the transaction the easy way.

My sales philosophy may not be the norm but sales activity, feedback and DSR's show me that this philosophy works.

Bernie
Message 15 of 35
latest reply

ok i have a case here, this buyer said item not received so i offered to send another and he agreeded.

a few days later he filed for not received on ebay and paypal; is that already consider a strike?

or should i refund him now and file a mutual? would that save me a strike?

that'd mean i shipped twice and out of the money as well 😞

A mutual does not produce a "strike" for the buyer and it is their way out of a a real Unpaid Item case.

Even if it is not really mutual I pretend it is and just file that way. Some buyers respond and agree, some just ignore it and I can close the case after 8 days.

Very rarely does a buyer not agree and, so far, it has always been for duplicate purchases that a buyer neither needed nor paid for but mistook the cancellation as being for the item he/she paid for. Again, a rare scenario.

Most buyers that don't/can't pay are more than happy to get out of the transaction the easy way.

My sales philosophy may not be the norm but sales activity, feedback and DSR's show me that this philosophy works.

Bernie
Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Bernie

Bernie, your sales philosophy sounds great to me and I can see how it would work positively for you. However, you might be affected less by an unpaid item than some of us are simply because you have more than 1 of each item. If a buyer purchases a widget from you, that takes just 1 out of your inventory and you can keep selling the other 20 identical widgets that you have in stock.

I have just 1 of many of my items. If that 1 item is purchased it is no longer listed and is basically in limbo until it is paid for and shipped. I always send out an invoice after the sale and then a reminder after about 3 days. If a buyer does contact me a day or two after the sale to say that they do not want the item, I don't have a problem filing a mutual. People do make mistakes and do change their mind.

But if the buyer has not contacted me by the 4th or 5th day, I usually file an unpaid item claim. If they still don't reply or pay another 4 days later, the claim is closed, they have an unpaid item strike, I have my fees back and I can finally list the item again. If they can't be bothered to contact me then I think that they deserve a strike and hopefully it will stop them from doing the same thing to someone else. It hurts to have that one item out of circulation for a minimum of 8 days, especially if it is a seasonal item.
Message 17 of 35
latest reply

a few days later he filed for not received on ebay and paypal; is that already consider a strike?

The whole open case thing is confusing. From what I understand it isn't a strike unless it is escalated and you lose. BUT if you gets lots of open cases, that does count against you.

I'm not really sure what to suggest.It would really depend on what sort of vibe I was getting from the buyer and whether I thought they would wait before going any further with the claim. They might have thought they should open a claim just in case the 2nd item got lost too.
Message 18 of 35
latest reply

greenwasabe
Community Member
I've just have a transaction today when some guy bought an item that is $1700, after he paid, he emailed me and said he made a mistake on his Paypal payment source, now he wanted a refund and started the transaction again. I refunded his payment and filed a mutual cancellation, the dude some how rejected the request for cancellation, case closed by eBay and no FVF credited. I know that some buyers don't care about a strike, or they are not even aware of it, but now I am out about $65 and with this kind of service from eBay rep, I don't think I can call them again. He tried to make it better with a pos feedback, as if it would cover the $65.

PJ, I don't think I can laugh this off now.
Message 19 of 35
latest reply

If he really does want the item and simply made a mistake on his Paypal source, send him a Paypal invoice for the item - if he pays everyone is happy. You are not evading eBay fees, you've paid them.
Message 20 of 35
latest reply