how safe is it to send something to Sri Lanka?

alllrite
Community Member

Some how I didn't exclude all countries but Canada USA as I intended and some one from Sri Lanka won the phone.  But they have 1 positive and have been a member since Feb 28 2014.  It will cost 75 dollars to ship the phone with tracking.  How safe is for me to complete this transaction?   I sure don't have a lot of confidence that this is a legitimate buyer, but I have no experience.  Will Paypal cover the phone if it goes missing and to what level?

regards

bruce

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't think there is a shooting war going on there anymore, but I would be very cautious.

Give the buyer the cost of shipping with Air Mail and Delivery Confirmation. Perhaps even splurge on the $1.50 for Signature Confirmation.

Tell him cheerfully that the phone will be sent by Air and requiring a signature 'for his protection'. But really it's for yours.

The cost is likely to be an arm, a leg, and a couple of toes.

When he sees the price of the purchase, he may ask to be released from the transaction.

Whew. Problem solved.

You can offer a Mutual Cancellation. Fast and friendly, but he can leave feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings, which can kill a newbie seller if he is not happy.

You can wait four days after the auction ends, having invoiced with that Air Mail /Delivery Confirmed shipping cost, and if he doesn't pay start an Unpaid Item Dispute. If he then pays, well, at least the cost of shipping quickly is covered. If he does not, Whew. Problem solved. He will not be able to leave feedback.

Or you could both ignore the transaction, but then you have to pay the selling fees and he can still leave feedback for 60 days.

Do NOT allow him to cajole or bully you into any shipping service that does not include Air Mail and Delivery Confirmation. Without these you will not be able to prove delivery and will lose an Item Not Recieved dispute.

Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!- Hoban Washburne.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hello bruce,

Has the buyer paid?  You say it will cost $75 to mail it, implying that he has not.

As you may have surmised, there really are countries in the world where the postal

employees nick things out of the mail.  When you mail an item and you are not as

confident as you might like to be, - make certain you send it Delivery Confirmed,

and $75 sounds like it would be, - and insure it for the value of the item. 

If the buyer tried to open a 'Not Received' claim, you simply enter the DC number

into the claim and you win.  If it 'disappears' along the way, you will have purchased

insurance.

Your other option is to refuse to send it, and either refund the buyer if he has paid,

or try to cancel if he has not.

He would most likely refuse to accept your cancellation, making it difficult to get back

your fees (but not impossible), and either way he would most assuredly leave you

a negative which at this point would squash your selling career like a bug.

At the same time, you knew about that 21-day hold that paypal places on all low volume

sellers, right?  Once he pays, some of that money will be available to print your

shipping label, but the residue will remain for the 3 weeks.

Have a look at this link about your paypal Seller Protection.  It will tell you when you are

and are not covered:

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection-learn-more

There's lots of things to click on there, so you might like to have a look around it if

you plan on selling high-priced, high-fraud items much. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I don't think there is a shooting war going on there anymore, but I would be very cautious.

Give the buyer the cost of shipping with Air Mail and Delivery Confirmation. Perhaps even splurge on the $1.50 for Signature Confirmation.

Tell him cheerfully that the phone will be sent by Air and requiring a signature 'for his protection'. But really it's for yours.

The cost is likely to be an arm, a leg, and a couple of toes.

When he sees the price of the purchase, he may ask to be released from the transaction.

Whew. Problem solved.

You can offer a Mutual Cancellation. Fast and friendly, but he can leave feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings, which can kill a newbie seller if he is not happy.

You can wait four days after the auction ends, having invoiced with that Air Mail /Delivery Confirmed shipping cost, and if he doesn't pay start an Unpaid Item Dispute. If he then pays, well, at least the cost of shipping quickly is covered. If he does not, Whew. Problem solved. He will not be able to leave feedback.

Or you could both ignore the transaction, but then you have to pay the selling fees and he can still leave feedback for 60 days.

Do NOT allow him to cajole or bully you into any shipping service that does not include Air Mail and Delivery Confirmation. Without these you will not be able to prove delivery and will lose an Item Not Recieved dispute.

Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!- Hoban Washburne.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I basically did this and the buyer was upset having misunderstood the listed shipping fee of $20. So I let him out of it. Now the question is how to get ebay to let me out of their commission?
Message 4 of 4
latest reply