i placed a bid and it was cancelled with no explanation. Why?

hi. i placed a bid on an item in russia (i live in canada) and my bid was cancelled without an explanation. i have even been blocked from contacting the seller. what is going on?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello 'patrijakibeml7tt',

Is this the user ID you used to place your bid?  If so, as you have zero feedback, (the little 0 beside 

your ebay name, - mine is 870) that may be why your bid was removed by the seller.

Too often new people win auctions and do not follow through with payment so sometimes sellers are 

tempted to cancel the bid and block the user ID, thinking (mistakenly in this case) that the person is

only fooling around.  If you have a look at the following link you will see that there's almost no end 

to the reasons for blocking buyers:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/buyer-requirements.htm

It can be discouraging, but a seller does not have to accept anyone's bids.  

Ebay tells sellers they ought to have a legitimate reason for removing bids and blocking, but the 

reason may be that the seller has had far too many people win his auctions and then not pay.

Not paying is really bad, and it infuriates sellers.  Here is the link about bid removal:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#canceling

All you can do is find another seller.  Also, if you are new to ebay, one of the most important links of

information you will find is the one about how ebay's automatic bidding works.  For anyone not familiar

with it,  there are other related links on the left and right to click on as well.  

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/bidding-overview.html#auto

Happy bidding Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hello 'patrijakibeml7tt',

Is this the user ID you used to place your bid?  If so, as you have zero feedback, (the little 0 beside 

your ebay name, - mine is 870) that may be why your bid was removed by the seller.

Too often new people win auctions and do not follow through with payment so sometimes sellers are 

tempted to cancel the bid and block the user ID, thinking (mistakenly in this case) that the person is

only fooling around.  If you have a look at the following link you will see that there's almost no end 

to the reasons for blocking buyers:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/buyer-requirements.htm

It can be discouraging, but a seller does not have to accept anyone's bids.  

Ebay tells sellers they ought to have a legitimate reason for removing bids and blocking, but the 

reason may be that the seller has had far too many people win his auctions and then not pay.

Not paying is really bad, and it infuriates sellers.  Here is the link about bid removal:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html#canceling

All you can do is find another seller.  Also, if you are new to ebay, one of the most important links of

information you will find is the one about how ebay's automatic bidding works.  For anyone not familiar

with it,  there are other related links on the left and right to click on as well.  

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/bidding-overview.html#auto

Happy bidding Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

thank you dmil8030 very helpful.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

To sellers who contemplate, cancelling bids.  Keep in mind, that will get you a DSR.  I had a bidder from Thailand bid on a coffee cup.  My shipping preferences are set to North America only.  Yet, she was able to bid.  I cancelled the bid, stating "I do not ship to your location"  Well, that's not what it shows, according to ebay. I called yesterday, and was told, it shows I was out of stock.  No amount of arguing got me anywhere.  He said there were 2 choices, and shipping location is not one of them.  I'm now stuck with this DSR for a year.  So before cancelling bids, try to get the bidder to withdraw the bid.  😞

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

To pinetreecottage: Was this a bid or sale? No matter, I suppose if the address was one you don't ship-to and the listing states this.

If this happened to me as a seller, I would call CS again and speak to a supervisor to get it removed.

If that doesn't work, try bringing it up at the next Board Hour. It sounds like a glitch.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

This was just a bid. I caught it within minutes of the bid. I immediately cancelled, with the explanation I mentioned. Had a strange CS rep. when I called the other day. First there was a lot of background noise, talking and general noises, then mumbling, like someone not quite sure what to do next. I asked if someone was there, then what sounded like a very elderly man said hello. I told him about the DSR and why I got it. He is now trying to help me through the shipping preferences. When I told him I was aware of the process, he said "you sure know a lot about this computer stuff " . I asked him if he was in the US, he said "as far as I know". So, who are we talking to, when calling CS? I can think of several answers, but that would just be speculations.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

That's plain odd. The tincan-being-hurtled-down-the-mountain is what I hear whenever I'm patched through to The Phillipines. Canceling a bid doesn't gain you a defect, period. I think your Rep was very confused. Call again.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The DSR shows in my seller dashboard. The reason is because I cancelled a transaction. This is the only trans. I have ever cancelled, so there is no mistake. I will call CS again tomorrow, maybe I'll get better results. Cheers
Message 8 of 8
latest reply