item not received needs resolution filing even when seller has responded via emai?

I purchased an item on May 2nd. The item supposedly was shipped on May 6th from Ft Worth Texas to me in Canada. As of May 22nd I have yet to receive the item. I contacted the seller via the eBay email system and they have offered me a refund or a replacement that would be shipped out in a week. My question is should I launch a report through the Resolution Center so that eBay has a record of the problem?

The reason is that the replacement could take 3 weeks to show up if it does. If one takes into account the additional week of waiting for it to be shipped out it would mean that it could be another 30 days past the original deadline for delivery of my original purchase. eBay reolution center requires a claim to be filed within 30 days of the expected delivery date for an item.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

item not received needs resolution filing even when seller has responded via emai?

never wait longer than 43 days to file a claim
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It isn't uncommon for a package from the U.S. to take 3 weeks so if I were you, I would wait longer before taking any action.  USPS First class international does have tracking to Canada...did the seller give you a tracking number? If not, I would ask him about that.

Since the seller is willing to refund you, I would ask them for a refund in about a week if you still haven't received the package and there is no tracking information showing that you will receive it shortly.  Do not file a case unless the seller is unwilling to refund. Filing a claim would cause a strike against the seller and the post office losing a package really isn't the sellers fault.

It is always better to get a refund than to have a seller send a new item out.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

eBay reolution center requires a claim to be filed within 30 days of the expected delivery date for an item.

Just for into purposes...

If you purchase an item while on .ca, a claim will automatically go to Paypal and that has a 45 day window for making a claim.

If you purchase an item on .com you can file the claim on either Paypal or ebay. As you mentioned, if you file through ebay the file must be made within 30 days after the last delivery date.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thing is that at the day before they supposedly shipped the item I sent a 6lb box from Canada to Corpus Christi TX via Canada Post parcel post and it got to the destination in a week.  I have items shipped from TX and OK before and it takes 10 days for first class mail to show up here where I am in Canada.

If the item does not show up should I file a report via Resolution Center so that eBay has a record of the problem just in case the refund goes south and I have problem. Waiting another week means that I have lost a week ordering the item from someone else on eBay.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

A 6lb box would have gone Expedited Parcel which is usually quite fast.

I've had first class packages from the U.S. take 7 days and I've had some take just over 3 week...there are so many variables.

How can the refund go south? The seller either refunds you or they don't. If they don't refund you then you file a claim. If they refund you why punish them by filing a claim? Are you worried that they haven't mailed the item at all? Did you ask them for a tracking number or is there one already showing on your my ebay page?

In the end it is up to you to do what you feel is best but I do not think that it is reasonable to want a refund before 3 weeks. You purchased the item on a Friday evening so the seller should have mailed it on Monday. Three weeks from then would be May 26th. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

That is actually only 13 business days, there are weekends and a holiday Monday in there, bound to slow things down, especially if it has to pass through Canadian customs. You really should wait another week to be fair. You have 45 days to file if not rec'd by then, not 30 days.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

It is 30 days after the latest estimated delivery date if item was purchased on .com and if the claim is opened on .com rather than paypal.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

The shipping description for the item says "USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service" does that actually have tracking on the item? I can wait till May 27th which would be 3 weeks since they had mailed it. If it does not show up I will ask them for a refund. In this case does the refund for item not received include the original shipping cost?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

So what?

Estimates are estimates, not guarantees.

If the seller is willing to refund you, take the refund. Do NOT allow a replacement. This is a recent scam from Asian sellers which seems to be spreading to North America.

A seller who refunds usually decides how much to refund. Most will make it the entire original payment, because the buyer has recourse if it is not.

Check at your PO in case a delivery was attempted but the notification slip was lost.

Allow 30 calendar days to pass.

Ask for the refund.

If you don't get the refund file the Item Not Received Dispute before Day 43.

If the item arrives after the refund, refuse the parcel. You can't have both the item and the money, ethically.

BTW, was the item shipped with the Global Shipping Program? These are tracked by PitneyBowes, but the tracking is not available to the buyer. The system is very reliable though.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@theoldestfart wrote:

The shipping description for the item says "USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service" does that actually have tracking on the item? I can wait till May 27th which would be 3 weeks since they had mailed it. If it does not show up I will ask them for a refund. In this case does the refund for item not received include the original shipping cost?

If they bought the postage online USPS First Class package Int'l does have delivery confirmation but if they bought it at a post office it doesn't have it.

Yes the refund should include the original shipping cost. If you do have to ask for a refund, ask the seller if they will be refunding the full amount. If not, then you should file a claim for an item not received. If the seller has no proof of delivery then you will receive the full amount that you originally paid including shipping.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply