momosworld`~,amberwoodottawa somthing I have noticed about your listings on ebay.ca compared to ebay.com site

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
I have noticed this for about 3 weeks now . When i click on your "view items " on ebay.ca .....it takes a very long time for your auctions listings to come up

However when you look at your auctions on ebay.com site it loads faster

test this you will see it really bogs down ..pulling info on ebay.ca compaired to ebay.com

Tell me others if you have noticed this or can notice this
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

momosworld`~,amberwoodottawa somthing I have noticed about your listings on ebay.ca compared to ebay.com site

I have noticed that myself. If i click on "view author's auctions" beside your name it will usually take a long time to come up. If i edit the url to chance .ca to .com it will come up almost right away.

I think it has something to do with the cold winters and information moving more slowly over the cold internet backbone 😉

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Thanks for the heads up on our pics

I know that last week for a couple of days of last week, we had a spammer trying to access our server where our pictures originate from.

At one point we had over 47,000 enquiries within 45 minutes and we spent a considerable amount of time trying to frustrate this guy and block him. That could slow things down should some legitimate person be attempting to see an eBay auction at the same time the spammer was trying to get access to our server to spread his junk emails.

We also slowed down our listings after Christmas for maintenance as December was a very good month for us and we have been tuning and tweaking things abit here. Added a couple of 160 HDs to 2 computers and we will be putting in a new board, chip and video card into our main server tomorrow.

At the same time we are working on preparing some new listings for different items (non musical) as well as getting ready to kick our web page into high gear thanks to whoever encouraged us to do so by reporting to eBay our linking to our previous non-commercial web site from our auction listings.

We also note that as we go through a cable modem using Rogers, they have had some down time recently and slower periods over the last week or so.

Fortunately we have an older untapped modem so our upload and download speeds are quite impressive but when Rogers bogs down, well we are just out of luck.

So hopefully the problem was self-inflicted and not the cold weather we have been having, although the difference between .com and .ca doesnt make alot of sense.

I tried to check but it doesnt make any sense as its all instantaneuos for me being directly networked to the computer that has the pics.

Malcolm
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Malcolm i have looked at your- stuff during the holidays . I do not want this to sound mean . I gave up looking because the pictures took forever to load up from each auction page . When i look at your listing ...the picture is always the last to load up ..also the more auctions you tend to run . the slower the pixtures tend to load for each auction

just my thoughts

I use to do what yoyu were doing ...I gave up and now host my pictures on a server outside of the home
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
If the auction and auction picture is taking long to load up when you go onto one of our auction listings as you suggested, that picture is stored on eBay and not our server so it has nothing to do with us and how we store our pics.

You can left click on the pic when you open up our listing, go to 'properties' and you will see it is stored with eBay. That either means your system is slow at the time you are downloading or eBay's is.

It is only when you click on "More Views" does it link to our web server and we have tested viewing from at least 2 dozen outside computers with people using cable, dial up, DSL, ADSL and Sympatico without any difference in the time they open up from our server over the time it takes them to download a comparable pictire from a commercial servers.

The only other link to our web site will be the HTML encoding with our item description and terms and sometines a banner.

We dont use java or flash or counters or anything that would slow down the downloading experience and we verify all our stats on a regular basis.

At the same time, one of the early threads on the Canadian Board was started by some PSers using commercial, outside, 3rd party servers and often finding that their pictures didnt show up, sometimes for hours, and other similar problems. (I can go back and find the thread).

I went to look at one of your auction listings just now and 1/2 of the pictures werent there until I did a left click and made a request to "Show Picture".: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=357&item=3653682384

Of the four pics, the 2 right pictures appeared but the 2 left pictures were blank with the small box and red X in the top left corner. They just didnt load up from whatever server you use. As they say "$hit Happen$".

I am not certain what type of service you use for your internet pleasure. We are on cable and have very fast upload and download speeds as we are enjoying an older model modem (not an antique, its less than 2 yrs old but the new ones dont permit the same download and upload capabilities)that is totally uncapped.

My son is the techie in this business and between us, we are on the computer close to 24 hours per day (he signed off at 8:20 am this morning and I was on at 8:45 am).

There is little that he doesnt know about computers, networking, hardware and software and I must admit I put 110% of my trust in his call as to what we are doing on the technical side of this business.

I will get him to add to this thread with respect to the technical side of this issue later this evening.

Malcolm

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Malcolm your pictures are stored on your web site that run in your auctions. i think you misunderstood what i meant sorry . Are you holding thses photo's on your computer and using the computer as a server through cable /

http://www.shopline.ca/ebay/drums2/drums2.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=357&item=3653682384

Help me out what pictures did not show up in this auction ??
please place the url's

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
These were the 2 pics that didnt appear when I went to one of your auctio listings. Ihave not tried any others.
Dont get me wrong and think I was goiong to your auctions to try to find fault as I wasnt however when I went to see what type of servie you were using and how your pics are displayed that is when the 2 pics did not appear.

http://www.urbanhouseimports.com/ebaymphotos/Folk.jpg
and
http://www.urbanhouseimports.com/ebaymphotos/Masks.jpg
Neither of these pictures appeared when your page loaded. Instead of refreshing the entire auction listing, I left clicked on each picture and hit the "Show Picture" option.

The difference in what you are doing and what we are doing is that your pics, all stored at a 3rd party server come up onto the first page of your auction listing.

Ours do not. That is why any delays you had in our auction listings coming up when you first went to our auctions would either lie with your system / internet provider or with eBay. It is only when you click on "More Views" under the eBay stored pic are you taken out from eBay and to our server where our pics are stored.

We run a server, we do not store pictures on a computer with a Rogers internet connection. As I said, my son can provide you with the technical details as to the type of server programs being used etc.

We have the capability and capacity to store several thousand active web pages and run several hundred businesses. In addition we use high-end APC battery back-ups that can keep us running over 1 1/2 hours after a power failure.

That is why I am not concerned that the problems you encountered, aside from a couple of periods we knew there might be a fractional decrease in accessing our server due to a spammer attempting access etc, are problems at our end.

At any rate, I will have my son address the technical side that will reflect the problem is not at our site in hosting.

Malcolm

Message 7 of 7
latest reply