my Web site had a hug DOS attack,,others have slow site today about 2 hours ago

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Well I could not pull anything off my site for about 20 minutes today . Seems my server had a huge DOS attack .

Any others
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

brownboxit
Community Member
there's a new nasty email virus just starting up, could tie up a server easy as it is meant as a takeover virus to allow dos attacks, and backdoor use as an email factory.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
We have succesfully blocked attempts to get to our server and have tracked where the server is and guess what, it is one of eBay's servers. We tracked back the 2 urls and they are registered to eBay in San Jose CA. We are getting tens of thousands of 'inquiries' a day originating from this one source.

I emailed spoof@ebay yesterday under the belief that they would act on it and report back to us immediately but we have not receievd any response after over 36 hours.

I just sent a question through Silver PS support telling them that this is an urgent matter as it is their server slowing down our business and trying to use our server as its next point of spamming.

I cannot believe that I would not receive any response from eBay given the severity of someone alreay having access to their computer system to spam others.

You know, if someone can access one of their servers to use for spamming, can they access our confidential information such as passwords, bank and/or credit card information as well from the eBay servers and perhas that is why eBay is not responding to me yet?

Malcolm

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
Yeah, they probably have all our passwords... let's panic!

:-p
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Malcolm they are out too get you .. tthey had a meeting last week.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
I knew it I just knew it. Maybe this is really eBay's was of making bigger profits by directing all their hits to other people's servers.

I know we have a fair amount of capacity but I dont think we can host all of the eBay business on our system.

Malcolm
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
That's it Malcolm.... Ebay is not really a big corporation with huge servers stored in secure environments. It is really a 16 year old kid (he was 9 when he started Ebay) working off his Commodore 64 computer and a 28K dial-up modem, and for all of these years he has been able to harness other computers and servers to act as the back-bone for his network....

And Meg.... well she is just a front (actually its not even the Meg who worked for P&G, but a lady who lives down the street from this guy who just looks like Meg and agreed to wear nice clothes and talk about Ebay as though it were more than just some guy on his C-64).

So today Malcolm... in actual fact you are Ebay.... tomorrow it could be anyone!!!!!

Jeff
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Jeff
I blew it!
I found out too late in the day and now it is someone elses turn to run eBa and I bet that 16 year old kid was one of the ones we trained in my US day care centre come back to haunt me.

Just think of all the things that I could have done, WOW!
Heck I wouldnt have bothered with eBay proper, I would have gone straight to PayPal ,their sub and checked out those daily deposits. (and I mean CHECKED THEM OUT)!

Malcolm
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
Malcolm, aren't you Canadian....

Didn't you mean cheque them out!

Jeff
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Jeff
But PayPal is US so I have to CHECK them out.

Besides I like to think of myself as more of the International or worldly type than just being a Canadian.

You know, no boundaries, come and go as I please, the world is at my door step and all that rot!

Fire up the jet Martha cause were off to Rio for dinner.

(Whose Martha?)

Malcolm
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Sure not MY Martha! I've never been enamoured of anyone who makes me feel inadequate, and I'm really not into paving a backyard patio while preparing a formal dinner for 22 and handcrafting the placecards from paving stone scraps and cutting bits of the legs off chairs to make sure all guests sit at the same height!

YOU can have 'er!!

Glenda
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

amberwoodottawa
Community Member
Glenda
You sound like my type of woman. Scrape off the BBQ from last time and throw on the meat, order in some prepared salads and serve it all on paper plates (paper napkins if youre out of paper plates).
Good music, good company, good wine, good conversation and laughter and to heck with the tuxedos and lets all hop into the pool.

Actually if I could figure out a way to live by or under a palm tree, on a warm, sunny beach for the rest of my life, that is where you would find me and to heck with the dinner party entirely.

Malcolm

Message 12 of 12
latest reply