new seller, drop shippers

Hello all. I'm working on becoming an ebay seller and using drop shippers. I already know I need to be careful and believe I've found a few reputable companies.

Does anyone have any thoughts and suggestions? Does this make shipping less of a headache? Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The drop shipper is the one who makes all the money

and you the seller get all the bad feedback  .

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. Are you speaking from experience or is this something you heard? One shipper in particular is telling me they'll drop the the list price 30-40% and the list prices are really very good.

The negative feedback if their shipping sucks could be an issue for sure.

Did you deal with any specific shippers?
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I'm assuming you're going to be dealing with an Asian drop shipper. Go to any Asian ebay seller's account and look at their feedback. 98% of their negatives are about shipping. That's because shipping from Asian countries can take up to 3 months to arrive. Most buyers on ebay won't want to wait that long.

Another issue with dealing with Asian drop shippers is the language barrier. If there's no issues, great, but what if there is an issue you need to communicate? Not impossible, but not easy by any means.

What about the quality of the product? You're going to be trusting somebody you've only met over the internet that the items are of good quality? I wouldn't.

Just my two cents.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Asian shippers would be a major problem, that's exactly why i wouldn't even consider them. The shippers I've contacted are US based. I've been speaking with them on the phone and communication was no problem. I should have specified. I also am going to attempt to deal only with brand names I recognize and where possible made in North America to limit quality issues.

I'm also doing all possible research on any shippers I can find.

Thanks for any and all assistance.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Have you done any local research?

The problem with the internet is that a website can be set up very quickly.

If you look in the Yellow Pages, the actual paper book, the companies you see have been in business for over six months, because that's how long it takes to get a new edition published. Most will have been around for years.

Look for manufacturers, wholesalers, importers, liquidators, jobbers, etc. in a field you know.

You can visit the supplier and inspect the quality of the goods.

You may be asked for a sales tax number. This is a good thing, since it means the seller is using your purchases as a rebate on his taxes.

No demand for a sales tax number? You are paying retail.

Also 30 to 40% discount? Most businesses mark up their products by 100% or more. Jewellry is closer to 400%.  Remember you will be giving eBay and Paypal about 20% of your customer's payment.

Zoe, I'm paying you too much. -- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Very helpful info.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@ricrichgray wrote:
Asian shippers would be a major problem, that's exactly why i wouldn't even consider them. The shippers I've contacted are US based. I've been speaking with them on the phone and communication was no problem. I should have specified. I also am going to attempt to deal only with brand names I recognize and where possible made in North America to limit quality issues.

Their office is US based. They still ship from Asia. That is a very common obfuscation.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@ricrichgray wrote:

Why are these places willing to cut you in if it is easy to list here and make money?  listing is the easy part, especially if one has volume of identical product.    Effectively you are expecting someone will pay you to click  a mouse to submit listings here...no one is going to do that

Message 9 of 9
latest reply