package not arriving.. should I send buyer a replacement merchandise??

My buyer from Russia purchased this Eugenia doll from me. The item number is 290179028581. I sent the package by International air parcel including full insurance. The package was supposed to reach the buyer in 2 weeks. But now it's been 2 months and the package still hasn't arrived. I contacted Canada Post and filed a claim. Canada Post told me they need at least 60 to 90 days to find out what happened to this package. I told my buyer this, but I only have 60 days since the buyer paid me from Paypal to issue him a full refund. (I do have a replacement doll I can send to the buyer too). Should I ask the buyer to wait until I find out an answer from Canada Post? Or should I send the buyer a refund or a replacement doll? The buyer has already waited 60 days for the package to arrive. If the claim with canada Post takes 90 days, that means the buyer will have to wait 150 days. That's half a year! I'm a power seller. I need my reputation. I can't ask my buyer to wait that long without even giving him a definite answer! Also, the most important questions: What happens if I send the buyer a refund (or a replacement doll), but the first package arrives later? If that happens, Canada Post won't send me a refund, but I will be out of 2 dolls. How do I still get the buyer to pay at that time? Doesn't ebay void the sale after 90 days? What if the buyer doesn't pay or contact me anymore? Will Ebay protect me from this kind of issue? Any info is appreciated! Thank you! -Ryan
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Hi, I have had the same problem with items I have sent to ITALY, PERU, and a few other countries. I always keep in touch with the customer, and reassure them that some countries it sometimes takes alittle longer to get there than others. I send them the info that Canada post has sent me, regarding the claim. You will find that Most customers are understanding, especially when you let them know how things are progressing. I have never had Canada post let me down. They have always covered my claims. And a little note: the parcels always get to their destination, sometimes alittle slower then others. I find items sent to ITALY take an average of 3 months by Surface, 30 days or longer by AIR. When talking to Canada Post, they explained that due to the limited flights to certain countries the mail takes longer, also some countries customs are really slow in processing the mail also. I hope that helps? If you need more info just let me know. Lore
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

This is how I do it:

For overseas, if the customer has not received the item by day 45 after shipment, I refund and file a claim with Canada post.

CP takes about 6-8 weeks to advise that they will be sending you a cheque (provided your customer confirms non-receipt).

It's actually quite simple with small packages. Now does it happen that CP pays a claim and the customer receives the package after he/she has confirmed non-receipt?

I'm sure it happens but I let sleeping dogs lie as I did get paid for my item .

As to CP's claim of flight frequency...BS! Few countries are not serviced daily. Mail is very efficient but, yes, customs backlog can easily add 4 weeks to the transit time

Xena
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thank you both for you replies. If the packages were sent by small packet air, I would refund the buyer now since small packet air doesn't come with tracking number. There is no way for Canada Post to really confirm delivery. But International Air Parcel a different case. It does come with a tracking number and I insured for 375 dollars. Here's the tracking number for my package sent to Russia:

CC 131 113 521 CA

EMS is not available for sending to Russia. International Air Parcel is the only way. It takes 2 weeks. Now it's been 2 months and no information is available besides the package has been accepted at my local post office. The buyer told me she already checked with Customs of Russia and claimed the package never arrived to Russia. Should I send the buyer a refund now? What happens if Canada Post can trace up the delivery info and confirms a delivery later?

Thank you very much!

-Ryan
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I had one like that. Tracking showed as entered the destination country but not delivered. Filed a claim on 07.12 and received a reply last week that the package had been delivered on 08.12. Tracking still shows as not delivered. CP rep says that's often the case when shipping overseas.

In your case there is no scan that it even left the country.

It's over 45 days: file a claim. No real downside to this, methinks.

Given the value of the package, let CP do their thing before you refund. It's too late for your customer to file a PP claim anyhow so you should be safe here but trust you will do the right thing if CP comes back with non-delivery confirmation.

What is EMS?

I thought there were no more air parcels, only small packets, slow-boat or xpresspost.

Xena
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hi Xena:

Could you please let me know where was your package shipped to? So you filed the claim on July 12, but the post office didn't get back to you until last week? That's 6 months!! It took them 6 months to reply to you! How horrible of Canada Post! Did you send by Xpresspost?

Btw, EMS is xpresspost. When shipping to Russia, there is no xpresspost available. Just air parcels, small packets, and slowboat. I sent by air parcel with full insurance.

-Ryan
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
i'm not getting all these 'timeframes' that i'm reading about filing a claim with canada post...its never taken them that long whenever i file...if i file today, i'll get a rep calling me in a few business days, a week max, and a few days later, they will have determined whether or not an item has been received and if not, issue a cheque that i get within a week...
when cp notifies me that they're issueing a cheque, i immediately refund the buyer, and that's that. and they CAN confirm whether small packet air packages have been delivered or not (within their own internal system)...if they didn't have a way of confirming delivery, everyone would be filing a claim and getting money...
Kat
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

07.12 = December 7 LOL! Was to Italy (the only one I ever sent trackable).

About a week after filing (via telephone) you get "the letter", essentially a form where you "X" off on a couple of spots and then it depends how quickly the PO in the other country responds. Never had a CA or US one and perhaps it goes faster in such cases.

Actually just got another cheque fr. CP today for a claim filed Dec. 3 (that's 03.12 ). Another Italian case, what else?

I just learned something. I thought CP has done away with air parcels as I have not been able to choose that option for all the destinations where I have tried. But, yes, to the Russian Federation it is available. I wonder if that's just expresspost without the time guarantees, etc.

Xena
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

OK, I checked with CP.

Air Parcel and xpresspost are basically the same product I was told. Was also advised that the "features" between AP and XP could be a bit different but the rep was unable to confirm this.

Xena
Message 9 of 9
latest reply