paypal completed transaction and completed but funds not available

dencon4
Community Member

On my paypal acct sometimes when a buyer pays for my item it shows as paid and available right away yet other times it shows paid but funds being held for 21 days.wondering why sometimes on the same day one person pays and it available yet another does and its not available.anybody have an answer on this one.D

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If a buyer has a Paypal account that is not backed up by a credit card, payment will be treated as an "eCheck", meaning it will have to clear through the buyer's bank account before being disbursed to the seller.  Usually the delay is just a few days, I'm not sure why 21 in your case -- perhaps an overseas buyer??

I find many buyers are unaware of this point, and are surprised when I let them know I'll only be able to ship when their eCheck clears. 

Take a look at the transaction details for your buyers on Paypal -- there should be an indication of why the funds are being held.  It's possible there is another reason, but this is the usual one. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

As a relatively new seller, you are at times subject to the PayPal "21 day hold".

For more information, please check the official policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/payment_unavailable.html 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

dencon4
Community Member

Hi thx for respnding .Yes I understand the 21 day hold my question is why does it apply sometimes and other time the funds are available right away from different buyers on the same day.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

"my question is why..."

There are many questions on eBay and PayPal starting by "why".

Few answers, unfortunately.  Standards do exist but are not always applied evenly.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

dencon4
Community Member

Ah.Thanks now I get it. So its just because thats the way it is.Oh well hope the dough clears in 21 days.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply