pitneybowes

canozind
Community Member

Hi,

I have been recently charged for $41.04 --  with a description: PAYPAL *PITNEYBOWES 4029357733.

I have not purchased anything from Pitneybowes. The item that I bought from ebay from a US Seller, didn't mention about this charge. The seller has already charged me Shipping and Import Charges, which is included in the total price -- US 145.96. Not sure, what are these additional $41.04 charges for? And if its shipping then why was it not informed to me when I purchased the item? Should I have known this in advance, I wouldn't have purchased this on ebay. I can buy the same item at cheaper price in local store in Canada -- it defeated the purposed of buying from ebay!

Thanks,

Deepak

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

pitneybowes

Import charges and international shipping are paid to PB, not the seller. In your Paypal account you should have two totals which should add up to the item, shipping fees + import charges.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

pitneybowes

Not sure, what are these additional $41.04 charges for?

On any import over $20 Cdn ($18 USD) there may be duty, provincial and federal sales taxes, and a $5 or so 'service fee' to Pitney Bowes.

And if its shipping then why was it not informed to me when I purchased the item?

You were informed, just before you clicked on the second Pay Now button. Before that there was a note about the approximate amount you would be charged before payment and shipment.

Approximate because the listing cannot know which province you are in or the final price on an auctioned item.

Alternately, if your seller had not used the GSP, the same duty and taxes would be charged on your doorstep before the parcel is turned over to you plus a 'service fee' of between $10 and $25+ depending on the delivery company.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

pitneybowes

I really find the (pitney Bowes , Ebay , Paypal) thing to be a real shame.. you buy mulitple items from the same seller and you get hosed on the whole thing from shipping on each to tax on each..   and all of it can be shipped in the same box for the first shipping cost..  its a Joke, and a easy way to make extra money on Bowes part. I dont like the way they hook line and sinker Sellers south of the border without informing them first of how it really works as a seller and towards the buyer from out of country of the Good ole USA..  as for the amount of tax.. there not Customs officers.. they are brokers trying to pull a good deed to them selves.. for the most part Custom lets items slide under a certain amount..    your loss as sellers state side..  I hate the system in place as Im sure many others do...   

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

pitneybowes

they are not Customs officers.. they are brokers trying to pull a good deed to them selves.. for the most part Custom lets items slide under a certain amount.

Postal items pass because it costs more to collect small amounts than it is worth.

Freight items, which is what GSP items are, pay the full legally chargable tax. No-one is 'pulling a good deed'.

It is  certainly true that when the system was designed the proposers of the scheme can have had no idea of the depth, height and thickness of public ignorance on the topic of import taxes and how they work.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

pitneybowes

This is because you got suckered into the global shipping program. Nothing you can do about it now.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply