priority international shipping.....why use it. Very expensive and not that much faster to Canada.

I have questioned sellers about the use of Priority Shipping International.  It is very expensive and usually not that much faster.  I live in Canada and buy low cost used goods, and when the shipping ends up being over $20 for a $10-30 item I question the purchase. 

I haven't bothered to make a bid most times, when I see the cost of shipping.  I do make an attempt to contact seller to request lower shipping options, but I still think that the lower cost option on lower cost items, should be the first choice; in order to attract buyers.

I also have the same to say about Global shipping.....extreme.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

priority international shipping.....why use it. Very expensive and not that much faster to Canada.

I am gathering that you mean American sellers. American sellers are different. They seem to believe the entire world outside the 48 states is filled with thieves. They have drunk from the Koolaid that REQUIRES them to use DC, tracking, sig confirmation.

I buy virtually nothing over ebay due to the high cost and low service levels.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Ah Ha.
Yes, I do mean American sellers. I haven't been overly successful in purchasing a lot from Canadian sellers. Different interests I guess. But when purchasing from Canadian sellers, have been surprised at the lower postage.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Priority international....

Is the only international shipping option with signature confirmation 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

This option was used once.

Book sold on the last day of February 2009

Book was sold at $750 US... which was a approximately $950 Canadian....

Exchange rate was close to $1.25 CDN to $1.00 US

Shipped to Hong Kong, insured for $1,000  and with signature confirmation.

Priority International has its place .

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It does have its' place. Its' place is not on a $5 widget that I have to go down to the PO to sign for.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Each seller chooses a shipping  option in relation what is being shipped based on ... 

(1) Destination... Canada, US or internationally

(2) Weight

(3) Size.... volumetric to weight conversion

(4) Value... insurance required or ... not

(5) Paypal and/or eBay with respect to a requirement for signature confirmation.

and perhaps other minor factors.

We start with a simple letter currently at about 65 cents each...  right  up to Priority International

Each seller makes a choice....  Each Canada Post option has its place 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I think that the OP is probably referring to Priority International from the US. If the shipping was within Canada, they wouldn't be mentioning the term 'international.'

kd - If a seller is using USPS Priority International, they are probably using it so they have delivery confirmation on the package. Many sellers do not realize that you can now get del confirmation on First Class international or they don't trust that it is working properly.

But if the listing states they are using Priority International...(without the USPS) that means that they are sending the item through the Global Shipping Program because they are uncomfortable with sending items out of the U.S. If they ship through the GSP, they send the item to a shipping center in Kentucky who then forwards the parcel to Canada. The buyer is also charged any taxes and duty at the time of purchase.

I can't really say why they use these services other than that they feel they are better protected using them when they are shipping outside of the U.S.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

OP is registered in Canada.....

and is most likely looking to buy something from a US seller

The assumption was that OP was a Canadian seller...  not quite correct... 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

A wonderful endorsement for your buyers LOL

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

... You are so right !!!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

@mr.elmwood wrote:

A wonderful endorsement for your buyers LOL

The absurdity of what I do has not escaped me.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I entirely agree....small items do not require huge shipping costs.  By the way, I am a Canadian buyer and a small time seller.  Most of the items I purchase are small items, with small prices.  Some sellers that I have contacted before making a purchase are willing to reduce to First Class International,  very big difference in shipping costs.  And if the sellers check, I have a great buyer rating, so usually no confirmation of delivery signature is required.

However, I do agree if you are selling a big ticket item, it certainly is the correct method to use.

I just wish that small ticket item sellers were better informed about their choices, or maybe they just don't check it out, before listing.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply